Question help

WindowsLMWindowsLM Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was studying over the practice questions for Chapter 8 in Sybex's Network+ book, and found this question, number 2 if you have it.

Which type of firewall checks for a current communication and the next packet needed?

A. Access control lists
B. Member control lists
C. Static state lists
D. Dynamic packet filtering
E. Proxy

I chose D, however when i went to the answers, I was surprised to find the answer listed was:

E. A proxy provides firewall services by keeping track of all communications sessions and fetching the next packets.

Perplexed, I glanced back in the chapter and noticed on page 335 under Dynamic Packet Filtering....a dynamic state list, held on a firewall, keeps track of all communications sessions.....and on the next page give a picture example of a packet being rejected because it wasn't the next packet in sequence.

Am I missing something in thinking that a proxy acts "oh behalf of" something, and missed where it kept track of communications

Question 10 is the same way.

What is the strongest bit-strength encryption that the U.S. government normally allows to be exported?

A. 32
B. 40
C. 64
D. 128
E. 250
F. 256

I chose, D, but the answer gives B. because "at the time of this press", however on page 350 it gives

One way to measure an encryption algorithm is by its bit strength. Until 1998, only software 40-bit strength and less could be exported. That limit has been increased to 56-bit stength and then 128-bit strength by special consideration of the U.S. Department of Commerce.

Is this because it says by "special" consideration, and it just isn't explained well?

I have noticed a lot of typographical errors in this book, but never a question answer. Please help clarify, and thanks in advance for your responses.

And sorry about the novel of a post.

Comments

• kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    I agree that those are both horrible questions. From my experience with the Net+ exam, you need to know the functions and differences between firewalls and proxies (e.g. proxies can cache webpages), but you won't be asked anything like the question you posted, and I don't remember encryption strength coming up at all.
  • WindowsLMWindowsLM Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree that those are both horrible questions. From my experience with the Net+ exam, you need to know the functions and differences between firewalls and proxies (e.g. proxies can cache webpages), but you won't be asked anything like the question you posted, and I don't remember encryption strength coming up at all.
    ok, that makes me feel better, thanks for the response.