Options

i/o addresses

djdominosdjdominos Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey guys,
first off let me say great site, its been really helpful. I was just wondering what i/o addresses i should know for the hardware exam? and does anybody have any techniques to memorizing them?

Comments

• Options
    RidiculousOneRidiculousOne Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The ones I know are:

Keyboard
    Floppy Drive
    Two hard drive controllers
    COM1-COM4
    LPT1&LPT2

I memorized COM1-4 and LPT1&LPT2 by using a set of rules.
    A good way to memorize the COM and LPT I/Os is to list the COM ports in order as such

COM1
    COM2
    COM3
    COM4
    LPT1
    LPT2

Then list an alternating pattern of 323232 down for the first digit on each of them as such

COM1 3
    COM2 2
    COM3 3
    COM4 2
    LPT1 3
    LPT2 2

Then list an alternating pattern of FFEE down for the second digit on the COMs as such

COM1 3F
    COM2 2F
    COM3 3E
    COM4 2E
    LPT1 3
    LPT2 2

Then put an '8' at the end of the COMs and a '78' at the end of the LPTs as such.

COM1 3F8
    COM2 2F8
    COM3 3E8
    COM4 2E8
    LPT1 378
    LPT2 278

When all of them are complete, do remember to put a lowercase 'h' at the end of them to indicate that they are a hexadecimal address.

COM1 3F8h
    COM2 2F8h
    COM3 3E8h
    COM4 2E8h
    LPT1 378h
    LPT2 278h

Additional I/Os:
    Keyboard is 60h
    Floppy Controller is 3F0h
    1st HDD Controller is 1F0h
    2nd HDD Controller is 170h

I did assembly programming for ATAPI Device Identification and such..so thats how I knew the hard drive controllers...and I've messed with sending printer commands through I/O 378 so thats how I know the Printer...and I've debugged a program that sent status signals (kinda like the post routine) to the keyboard...so thats how I knew the keyboard.

However, enough with my ranting. I hope the part on the COM's helps you. The others I have not simple trick for...its just memorizing
    I once had many brothers and sisters...until my parents bought a sandbox.
  • Options
    jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    excellent info. I will have to remember that for when I start studying for A+