Options

Measure Up practice question - EFS?

bevanbevan Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

There is a Measure Up practice question which I need to clarify:

Q. A user would like to compres files to conserve disk space. The user would like to compress as many files as possible. The users computer in running Microsoft Windows XP Professional. It has a single hard disk with two partitions. The hard disk is a basic hard disk. The partition is formatted with as FAT32. Partition D is formatted with NTFS. Data files are located on both partitions. A folder named Secret on the NTFS partition contains files encrypted using Encryption File System (EFS). What two steps must you take to enable you to compress all data files on both partitions? (Choose two. Each answer represents part of the solution.)
a. Clear the Encrypted attribute on the Secret folder.
b. Clear the Encrypted attribute on the encrypted files.
c. Convert the disk to a dynamic disk
d. Create a folder named Compressed on each partition, select the Compress attribute, and move all data files to that folder.
e. Convert the FAT32 partition to NTFS.

I have selected answers a. and e. and this was incorrect. The correct answers were b. and e.

The explanation for the incorrect response was: Clearing the Encrypt attribute on the Secret folder will not clear the Encrypt attribute on the files it contains. It will only prevent new files created in that folder from being encyypted automatically.

I would have assumed that clearing the Encrypted attribute on the folder then selecting Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files would have been correct as apposed to individually clearing the attributes or using the dir cipher /d *.* cmd (not actually mentioned).

What am I missing here? help!

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you clear it on a folder, it'll give you the option to clear it on all individual files/folders beneath it. By doing so, you're taking a shortcut so it'll clear all the encryption bit for each file beneath that folder. Each file still technically has its own encryption bit.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    bevanbevan Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where did you reference this information? for the point of the excercise, will the remaining files be encrypted for other users?
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the trick here is it says "contains encrypted files." This to me would mean that not every file within the folder is necessarily encrypted, nor is the folder itself encrypted. Using this logic, you couldn't uncheck the Encrypt attribute on the folder because the folder was never encrypted, just some of the files inside.

Sounds like another tricky MS question that requires you to read it very carefully.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everlife wrote:
    I think the trick here is it says "contains encrypted files." This to me would mean that not every file within the folder is necessarily encrypted, nor is the folder itself encrypted. Using this logic, you couldn't uncheck the Encrypt attribute on the folder because the folder was never encrypted, just some of the files inside.

Sounds like another tricky MS question that requires you to read it very carefully.

Or that you did in fact enable encryption on the folder which encrypted all the files inside, but then you disabled encryption on specific files.

Gotta love those tricky questions!

Oh and the answer is B + E. You can't use EFS on FAT32 so that one is a given. Also, it says files are encrypted, not the folder. When I was doing 270/290, allt he books recommended if you wanted to enable EFS on all files under a folder, to do it at the folder level. Considering the question says files are encrypted and not the folder, it's a good chance that you'd want to disable it on the files and not the folder.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icroyal wrote:
    Everlife wrote:

Or that you did in fact enable encryption on the folder which encrypted all the files inside, but then you disabled encryption on specific files.

Gotta love those tricky questions!

Oh and the answer is B + E. You can't use EFS on FAT32 so that one is a given. Also, it says files are encrypted, not the folder. When I was doing 270/290, allt he books recommended if you wanted to enable EFS on all files under a folder, to do it at the folder level. Considering the question says files are encrypted and not the folder, it's a good chance that you'd
    want to disable it on the files and not the folder.

Yep, this is exactly what I hoping to convey. =)