Written by Craig Roberts, "dying middle class"

tell me what do you think of the article after you read it

Comments

• Options
    johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    for some reason that suff scares the crap out of me
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
    Well first it is from a liberal website, so they will be painting the worst picture possible for a Republican administration. I agree that jobs going over seas is very bad and it has been going on for many years, however they do not point out some recent good news on that front is that some companies like AT&T are bringing outsourced jobs back into the US, link here: http://story.malaysiasun.com/index.php/ct/9/cid/3a8a80d6f705f8cc/id/e250710beebdf65a/. It seems American customers like dealing with Americans (big suprise there, lol) and hopefully many other big companies will start following the trend and bring back jobs.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    The last line of the article sums up nicely what the author would have you think after reading it:

America is seeing a widening polarization into rich and poor. The resulting political instability and social strife will be terrible.

Ask yourself, who are the people in the news right now that are saying similar things? Now read the author's entry in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Craig_Roberts.

I wonder if Art Bell or George Noory has interviewed Mr. Roberts about his interesting 9/11 conspiracy theory.
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is quite an interesting article indeed. Just so you know this kind of thing isn't just happening in America.

Middle classes are getting poorer, that seems to be the perception to me anyway. And this can be a result of a few things but in my view 2 things are clear. People are becoming more educated and more middle class jobs are being off-shored.

This has resulted in a glut for the proffessions. However there is a new twist to this and is cyclic in nature. More and more students are opting for skilled trades and other such 'safe' jobs in place of a Uni degree. Truth is people working in a low-skill construction job can often as much if not more than an IT person or accountant.

Secondly, the exploitation of low income countries is bound to stop soon. The cultural barrier is putting people of companies and a result these companies will notice turns in their incomes. Also because of the demand of workers in developing countries thei wages are rising and will shortly not be competitive.

So my prediction, as someone with very little economic education using his own perceptions and judgement, is to brace for a huge demand in professional jobs within 5 to 10 years.

Maybe we can get the middle class back.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    strauchr wrote:
    brace for a huge demand in professional jobs within 5 to 10 years.
    Most of these new professional jobs will be in China and India. This is where the tech sector will growing the most over the next two decades.
  • Options
    blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can't outsource service job though. So will have less impact for network administrator.

We have a branch office in China with 16 software developer. Paying them roughly 60$ a month. It's in rural region of China though. The labour in the urban area is actually much higher.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'd be suprised at what can be outsourced.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    strauchr wrote:
    Truth is people working in a low-skill construction job can often as much if not more than an IT person or accountant.

Truck drivers, lawn care, police officers, electricans, mechanics....

All are fields that one can easily make 60k per year with a little work. With so many people refusing to work for someone else and wanting to start they're own business, I can see this trend getting outta control.
  • Options
    computerguy9355computerguy9355 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    then perhaps maybe I.T. industry in the U.S. will be all filled with the foreigners in the future?

by the way, when Paul mentioned about "network system jobs" , does that includes all the different aspect of networking ? or just one feld in particular? like tech support ?
  • Options
    Main Event wrote:
    strauchr wrote:
    Truth is people working in a low-skill construction job can often as much if not more than an IT person or accountant.

Truck drivers, lawn care, police officers, electricans, mechanics....

All are fields that one can easily make 60k per year with a little work. With so many people refusing to work for someone else and wanting to start they're own business, I can see this trend getting outta control.

Yep, its not hard to make money in this 'pay someone else to do it' society. One of my friends drives a truck. Dropped out of school when he was 15, never studied a day in his life, barely works an 8 hour day and has been making as much as I have been.

Compare this to someone like me who has finished High School, went to college, barely is able to only work 8 hours a day and continues to study. Doesn't quite seem fair. Hopefully in the long run it will pay off.
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    strauchr wrote:
    brace for a huge demand in professional jobs within 5 to 10 years.
    Most of these new professional jobs will be in China and India. This is where the tech sector will growing the most over the next two decades.

Yeah but what I am saying is that the demand for workers in those countries will push their wages up and throw together the cost of running and managing a team in a foriegn country you'll see jobs starting to head back to our developed nations shores.

Not to mention the cultural and language barriers which will grind on people and the costs of these communications issues will become apparant.