Options

Need Help!!!

zeekabalzeekabal Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
plz somebody tell me wht does the fatal error means ? r they have any relation with the RAMs??

Comments

• Options
    longshotlongshot Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Memory errors are the ones that deal with RAM. I usually only saw Fatal errors with Windows M.E. and those were with programs.

Can you put up the Message you are seeing on the screen. We might be able to track it down better with that.
    Webmaster: www.longshotdesigns.com
    Stunters Digital Artwork (It's halfway up now)
  • Options
    skardosskardos Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here is a not so little insight into 'fatal errors' and the cause behind them.

Windows, being the wonderful thing that it is, controls all of your memory both physical (RAM) and logical (Swap File). When a program starts, Windows places it in memory because as you know this is where programs actually "run".
    Keep in mind that since your PC is running there are programs in RAM, taking up space. When you start another program Windows moves (swaps) some programs (usually minimized ones) out of RAM and into the Swap File thus making space available in RAM for the 'new' program and the program being moved out of RAM is being fooled into believing that it still exists and is occupying space in RAM and nothing has changed. At this point the 'new' program is now occupying the space (memory address location(s)) that the 'swapped' out program was in, and still believes it is in.

The "fatal error" occurs when the old (swapped out) program is called upon by the user and the system tries to place it back to the same address location(s) where it moved it out from, but the 'new' program is still there either because the system couldn't swap it out fast enough, the program itself won't allow it (some don't, like critical system files), or the memory location(s) are still being claimed by the 'new' program even though the 'new' program has been closed (this is called a "Memory Leak" - memory being claimed by a program as exclusively its own even after the program has been terminated). The “fatal error” is when one of the programs contending for the same memory location(s) must be eliminated in a not so wonderful way.

When a “fatal error” occurs in Windows NT, 2000, 2003, or XP this ‘program crash’ has no effect on the operating system because it (the OS) is running in protected area(s) of RAM. All other programs, although not protected, run in their own memory space. They do get swapped out to make room for other programs because although it is separate they share it when needed. Since they are in their own separate area(s) of memory the program(s) that crashed can be restarted without any adverse impact on the operating system as a whole, because only those programs that were sharing the memory were affected.

When a “fatal error” occurs in Windows 3.x, 9x, or ME the system should be restarted because there is no protected area of memory for the OS and all programs share the same memory and if one program crashes then it is very likely that other programs in memory are affected. What happens is in order to save memory space the system doesn’t start multiple copies of files such as .DLLs. If a program requires a .DLL and another program has already loaded it into memory then the system ‘shares’ this .DLL between the programs that need it. As such when a program crashes it affects all other programs that it was sharing files with. For this reason sometimes Windows (3.x, 9x, ME) is affected by the program crashing and the system must be restarted.

This is not so in Windows NT4, 2000, 2003, XP because the programs run in their own little ‘world’ and are under the assumption that they are the only ones occupying the memory. As such when more than one program requires a file which in Window 3.x, 9x, and ME would be ‘shared’, Windows (NT4, 2000, 20003, and XP) loads it into memory where ever the program requires it. This is why if a person looks at Task Manager they might see multiple listings of some files. A perfect example of this is the SVCHOST.EXE file, which is used to (guess what) ‘host’ services.

Although a little long winded I hope this helps a little bit. And if I get flamed for this then so be it.

Peace,
    Steve