Options

strange VLAN problem

macwhizardmacwhizard Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
i'm able to ping other hosts in different vlans on the same switch. icon_confused.gif: i've tried IP ROUTE command and ping stat became request time out, but after a reboot, IP ROUTE doesn't have any effect. Is this normal ?.

Comments

• Options
    hectorjhrdzhectorjhrdz Member Posts: 127
    you can't see them because they are in other networks!!!!!!

if you want to ping them from the same SW it would have a MSFC (layer 3 SW). To ping host from different VLANs you need to establish a trunk with a router and create Sub-interfaces on it, each one related with a vlan. Then perform routing issues
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    macwhizard wrote:
    i'm able to ping other hosts in different vlans on the same switch. icon_confused.gif: i've tried IP ROUTE command and ping stat became request time out, but after a reboot, IP ROUTE doesn't have any effect. Is this normal ?.

if you can ping hosts from different VLANs on the same switch, and you dont have a lyer 3 device, then i dont think you have your VLANs set up properly because its not possible...
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    computerguy9355computerguy9355 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you using a layer 3 switch ? if yes, then it is possible since it can perform layer 3 routing. But if it is a layer 2 device, unless you got router on a stick configured, its not possible.
  • Options
    i'm using layer 3 SW, 3550..... I haven't configured any trunk ports, just created a couple of vlans, plugged router ethernet and hosts to vlans, assigned ip's on routers.

the problem is, IP ROUTING works sometimes, so having a L 3 SW is of no use for labs.... i guess.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    L3 switch isn't covered on CCNA, except in passing.
    Remember that switches don't normally route, so each VLAN has to be treated separately as if they were part of a different switch. You have to route somehow from one VLan to another, either through a trunk, or descrete connections from each VLan to the router(s). I sometimes I forget that, just as I forget routes back when configuring routes out.
  • Options
    The problem is, i'm not allowed to use any other switches.

When you create multiple vlan's on the same switch, to the hosts in a vlan, the switch acts like a total stranger to other vlan's, even though it knows (thus, does not pass any requests to other vlan's) and when you trunk vlan's spanning several switches, vlan's having same vlan id behaves like they're one switch(or connected together). Is that correct ?.

if, so, my switch should not allow / pass any requests to other vlans. But i'm able to ping icon_eek.gif

Router A, e0
    >Switch (vlan 1, ports 1~4)
    ````````````````````````````(vlan 2, ports 5~9)<
    Router B e0

Hosts 1,2,3
    >vlan 1``````````vlan 2<
    Hosts 4,5,6

serial ports shutdown, not using any protocols.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hello,

i think you wont be able to ping also - unless something strange happens :P
    like accidently you have a route to other network.

cheers.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    What can you ping? Are you establishing trunking between Router A and the switch, or router B and the switch? Any intrinsic connection between router A and router B that might be causing pings to route, such as a route to the internet?