Options

What cert next?

ocrigginsocriggins Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just got my MCSA. A little worn out. I took 4 exams the last 6 weeks.

Anwyay, I was thinking about going for my MCSE, CCNA, or taking Security+.

What does everyone think? I am leaning toward the CCNA or taking Security+.

Thanks,

OC

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely go for MCSE. Then go for CCNA.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Depends on what you want to do. If it was me, I'd definitely go for the CCNA cause thats what I'm doing now. Are you planning on doing both of them eventually?
  • Options
    Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well i agree with dirty south but seeing that you just did all of those ms certs. I say do the ccna just for a change of pace.
    YoungFred.jpg
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CCNA, then MCSE, then CCNP!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    In what capacity do you plan to work or are you currently working? Focus on the areas that are of interest to you and something that you enjoy.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    TregTreg Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    4 Exams in 6 weeks? I dont understand how some of you do this, do you work in IT? It frustrates me reading posts of people passing an exam every 2-3 weeks. I find it hard to study with a full time job in IT (taking me months per exam). Im just steaming as I want to get this MCSE out of the way icon_smile.gif

Congrats anyway on MCSA, i'd keep going to MCSE while the content is fresh and then go Cisco.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Treg wrote:
    4 Exams in 6 weeks? I dont understand how some of you do this, do you work in IT? It frustrates me reading posts of people passing an exam every 2-3 weeks. I find it hard to study with a full time job in IT (taking me months per exam). Im just steaming as I want to get this MCSE out of the way icon_smile.gif

Congrats anyway on MCSA, i'd keep going to MCSE while the content is fresh and then go Cisco.

If it's material you work with, some review should be all that is necessary. Start your day an hour earlier and review a topic, certainly in a week or two (for material you use) is sufficient to prepare. If 'Study' is required, then sure it will take more time.

Hang in there ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GET A JOB, then worry about more certs after you have some experience. Don't become another paper MCSE.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    I agree with those that said get a job to get some experience.
    Nothing beats experience and a little luck.
    Also network you A$$ off let evertbody you meet know what you are trying to do. Join some IT organizations to meet some people.
    This year I am trying to get out more and meet new people. I met 2 of my best job references at the bar watching football talking trash
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mikej412 wrote:
    CCNA, then MCSE, then CCNP!
    I completely agree with mikej412 on this, except I'd push Security+ in between CCNA and MCSE, since you're going to need it or another elective for MCSE. Personally, I think it's a better way to go, taking Security+ as the MCSE elective, since you get both Security+ and MCSE in "one" package, instead of simply taking another elective exam that gets swallowed up by the MCSE.

And I also agree with the other statements made, go out and work and get yourself noticed, get yourself some good experience. Go to IT conferences, join IT job boards, make sure you have business cards, etc. . . It all sums up to helping you find the job you want for the kind of pay you want. No one thing, be it certs, experience, social networking, stands alone. This is especially true when you're going for more than one specialization path, like doing MCSA/MCSE and CCNA/CCNP, where you're not "just a Windows admin" or "not just a Cisco engineer" but you have workable experience in both fields.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    An MCSE, CCNA, Security+, etc with no work experience means squat.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    blargoe wrote:
    An MCSE, CCNA, Security+, etc with no work experience means squat.

I tend to agree with you, but it also has to do with who it means something to. Depending on where you are and the company you're applying with, having work experience alone doesn't get you in. I've been turned down for jobs that I'm perfectly qualified to do, but someone with a cert beat me to it. (Hence the reason I work, go to school, and also work on getting certified, these days.) It's a tough market out there, and sometimes it's downright unfair that someone with little or no experience can beat you to a job because they have a piece of paper that says they learned something.

My advice still stands for ocriggins: work on those certs while you're trying to find work and do some of that social networking. The technical knowledge you gain in studying for certs will help you when you're working and getting experience. On the other side of the coin, that experience will help reinforce the knowledge you gain while studying. The MCSE coupled with the Security+ will serve you well in getting to where you want to be, and they will give you the opportunity to learn a lot and give you a better chance of working with the very same tools and technologies you study.

The Security+ doesn't make you a security expert, by any means, but it does give you a very good overview of security practices and methods. It also is an excellent stepping stone towards other security certs and a broader security field. If that's your interest, the MCSE and CCNA experience will help you all that much more. (Some Unix/Linux experience wouldn't be a bad idea, either.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.