Options

system admin vs. network admin career path - pros/cons

ukeuke Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
OK folks, I'm trying to decide what certification to go for next. So far, I got A+, MCDST, and my 70-270 exams. I'm currently working a tech support job at a law firm that's pretty decent, though I think I'm at the point where I'm looking to go beyond help desk. I'm split between going for Network+ next or knocking out my 290/291 exams for the MCSA. I "think" one of the big determining factors is whether I want to go the system admin route or the network admin one (two different jobs at my current company). I went over some of the material for the 290 exam, and a lot of it seems pretty familiar to me, especially having taken the 270 exam. Also, the Network+ exam is $225, while the 290/291 exams combined only come out to $250, and I can space that out over two exams.

I guess what it comes down to is what career path I really want to go down. If anyone has experience in these fields, what are you thoughts? What is the earning potential of one vs the other, etc. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Regardless of which path you choose, I think that MCSA would be beneficial to you. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, been doing help desk type stuff for a few years now, but wanting to broaden my horizons. I knocked out A+ and Network+ in order to get my feet wet, before diving into MCSA. If all goes well with that, I'll probably go on to MCSE next.

Something else to keep in mind: you mentioned only needing 70-290 and 70-291 for your MCSA, but you'll need an elective as well. If you do Network+, that in combination with A+ will count, otherwise you'll have to take one of Microsoft's electives.
  • Options
    ukeuke Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Regardless of which path you choose, I think that MCSA would be beneficial to you. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, been doing help desk type stuff for a few years now, but wanting to broaden my horizons. I knocked out A+ and Network+ in order to get my feet wet, before diving into MCSA. If all goes well with that, I'll probably go on to MCSE next.

Something else to keep in mind: you mentioned only needing 70-290 and 70-291 for your MCSA, but you'll need an elective as well. If you do Network+, that in combination with A+ will count, otherwise you'll have to take one of Microsoft's electives.

MCDST counts as an elective, so I already got that covered icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Duh, you're right, forgot about that!
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    tyou best bet is ot look at the job descriptions for each position in your company thne look at what certs would help you fullfill those positions.

it is hard to say what cert you should get to get a position with out knowing the requirements of thep osition in the given organization

for example I'm an IT support Technician. From that titlew it seems mosre helpdeskish but I actually run all the serversm dealing with switching, routers, exchange, ISA etc.

and unfortunately there is no standard ization with titles in the industry.

I don't think Network+ is a bad choice for you but it seems liek mnoey mgiht be a bit of an issue so given that go for the bang for your buck and knock off 2 for the price of one(pretty much) then come back to network+ as it shows u have a good understanding on networknig concepts.

just my .02
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need a healthy understanding of networking if you want to be a great sysadmin one day. Network+ is never a bad choice for any desktop/helpdesk tech to study.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    my $0.02 worth...

I did:

A+
    Network+
    CST / CNST - search the forums for "rollover"
    Security+
    70-270
    Working on 70-290 tward MCSA and then on to MCSE

The MS path is a long one, but from what I have seen ...a rewarding one.

I also plan on getting the following certs as the years go by....

CCNA
    CCNP
    CWNA
    MCITP
    MCPD

I guess it really depends on what you want to do and where you want your carreer to go.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My past/current/future path in chronological order:

Currently have:
    A+
    Network+
    MCP XP
    Bachelor's in Network and Communications Management
    MCSA

Currently working on:
    MCSE with 298 instead of 297 with 70-284 Exchange Elective which will give me my MCSA: Messaging as well. The reason I am going with 298 instead of 297 is because my company is requiring me to do 299 which is a Security specialization elective. Since I'm going for MCSE anyways and they're requiring me to do 299, I might as well do 298, then just do my ISA exam and be Security specialized. They're also requiring me to do 284. All i'll really need to do extra, is the ISA exam and the 285 exam, and i'll have MCSE in both specializations.

Tentative future wants:
    CCNA
    Maybe CCNP (probably not)
    After doing my 298 and 299 and ISA, if I enjoy it enough, I might get CISSP.

Also, learn scripting. Scripting will make you an awesome admin because you'll be able to automate stuff that you would not be able to do otherwise. You'll also be able to create solutions that were otherwise impossible to do with the GUI.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    It's a hard decision to make, but once you've made it then it's time to work up a study plan and figure out how you are going to accomplish your goals. I chose sysadmin because we have way more work here that netadmin (12 server guys and 2 network guys). Now that I have MCSA, I'll finish MCSE and work on Security and Messaging specializations, maybe throw MCDBA in there for added effect!
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    In my experience I would suggest deciding which you find more rewarding and fun. I have had my CCNA but I didnt retest for it again because I really dislike being a router monkey. It is a very specialized skill and if you dont have your CCNP or CCIE it really is hard to market yourself to obtain a strictly cisco based job. It seems Microsoft is the standard and everyone likes to see that you have some type of Microsoft certification. A+ and N+ are a must IMO to show an employer you know the basics as well as the software application process.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    UKE, Network + will not make you a network admin. No one in the world will hire you as that with that cert. A+ and Net+ count as an elective to MCSA (but you already have that covered)... Net+ means nothing to MCSE... Its a waste of money either way for you...

Spend your money on the MSCA track. You can always write 3 more exams after and get MCSE.

Smallguy, whatever you do. Change your job title before you apply for another job. It will pidgeonhole you without even looking into your skillset. Be creative but honest. :P
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    biggyraybiggyray Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am student that really wants to be good in IT.i work with an ISP i can configure wireless radios setup a LAN .but i wants to improve my knowledge can u pls tell me how i can do this.
  • Options
    RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am seriously thinking about returning to school and the local community college is offering MCSA and CCNA classes in the evenings starting January 2007. Besides work, I can only manage one class at a time without going crazy. I did ask my new boss at work which certification track to work on and he said both are good certs. Sure, both certs are good. I am just not sure of which I should start with FIRST. Most of my work experience has been as a PC tech and desktop support person. I am also wondering which cert will complement my background more. icon_confused.gif: