Failed 657...

Gaztop1Gaztop1 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

i did my 291 exam today and i honestly dont know what happened think my brain froze cause i know i knew the answers... i am screaming on the inside and the outside!!

i think my major downfall was the Simulations got so stressed out on the Routing and Remote Acces Sim. does anyone have any advice or help on studying or practicing RRAS ?

i am now deciding when i should do the rewrite? any suggestions on a redo date? ie give myself another week or 2 or just study and jump right in asap ?

thanks guys

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What material are you currently using?

Solutions I have found to be effective are the following:
    1. CBT Nuggets and/or Testout
    2. 2 Books (Check forums and Amazon for user rations). Sybex, Syngress, and MSPress seem to be the most popular). Exam Cram is also another popular book even though I don't use them.
    3. Technet (technet.microsoft.com)
    4. Windows Help & Support (an abundance of information about the functionality of different Windows components)
    5. techexams.net :)

Good luck on your next attempt. Ask any question that confuses you.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Gaztop1Gaztop1 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well i am using the 2276 and 2277 books that i got as course material.

although i do have Ms press kit for 291 also a very good read but i sometimes get lost in the book.

i appreciate the help man and i will definitatly take u up on it will look over my scoring sheet and give some questions hopefully get some feed back :D
  • geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    does anyone have any advice or help on studying or practicing RRAS ?

Do you have a lab setup? VMware and MS Virtual Server are good for setting up a home lab. That's how I practiced RRAS and I found it helped a lot.

Do you use any practice test software like Transcender or MeasureUp?
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RRAS was my big downfall on the first attempt. I would suggest setting up a home lab + watching CBT nuggets and/or testout training vids.
    Hey Guys,

i dont have a lab setup at home for RRAS all though i am busy trying to organise something. its basically getting copy of W2K3 ...

i am not using any trascendors or measureup practice exams , basically working off the MS press Book Practice exams using all the press book cd's not the greatest way but it helps.

RRAS was what really got me in that 291 exam i got perfect score for subnetting and i did pretty well for setting up etc DNS did ok in but not to the level i would like to have... made some stupid mistakes... rteally think i went a blank in the exam. has that happened to any of you ?

any advice is greatly appreciate and i am grateful for the replies!
  • dmwdmw Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can download a trial copy of Windows 2003 server:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/default.mspx

I setup RRAS using dyndns.org pointing to my remote access server. It helped alot in learning how to actually do it. Now if I could just lfigure out the rest. The only thing with dyndns.org is you can't test it from within the internal LAN. Hopefully you can conect another way or have a friend to test with.

Good luck.
    Rebooting computers since 1999
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I failed 291 as well. I plan to rewrite mine next week.

I just got Syngress today, and it's REALLY useful. oh my goodness, especially for the killer topic DNS, I find that this book does the best job.

Review your weak points and see if your have good materials to review those areas. Mine were DNS and network security, and Syngress really helped.

Good luck!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    Thanks guys i really appreciate all the help, i think i will use that dns.org site and setup own network, i have a friend in my class busy study for his 290 and 291 exams so will look into testing it with him. should make for a fun PVT network aswel haha

sometimes best way to remember something is to make it fun?!

i haven't yet decided if i want to do my rewrite this week or give myself a few weeks. i am doing Exchange 2003 next week ( the full course ) so will talk with my trainer maybe he can give me some advice aswell.

but i will get back to trying practice exams and reading over the manual aswell as installing a 2003 network. a mate of mine is organising me server 2003 VPC images to practice on. will keep everyone informed when i do my re-write and you will see if i pass or failed ;)

good luck to you guys aswell for your exams!