Options

Knowledge Hog

HotKeys68HotKeys68 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has any of you had troubles with a boss that will not let you participate in projects or issues? I have been at my job for 10 months now as a Network Administrator but my job duties are equivalent to a regular administrative assistant. How can you even try to get another job with out the experience? I feel stuck.

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    its time for you to start looking for other opportunities
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Thank you, but there must be a way around him. I do not want to let him get me. The only time I get to learn is when he is on vacation. Isn't this pretty common???
  • Options
    no, its not common..
  • Options
    WindowsLMWindowsLM Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    keenon wrote:
    no, its not common..
    agreed, I am in a similiar situation, and i feel for you. It sucks, you can't win against someone like that, because even if you do, they will make your life hell, sadly, a new job is sometimes the best route to take :/
  • Options
    WindowsLM wrote:
    keenon wrote:
    no, its not common..
    agreed, I am in a similiar situation, and i feel for you. It sucks, you can't win against someone like that, because even if you do, they will make your life hell, sadly, a new job is sometimes the best route to take :/

Thank you very much!

I know and I have even tried to go around him by starting to study for the 2003 MCSA and it makes him angry because he doesn't want to put any effort into updating his own knowledge...
  • Options
    RavenSpawnRavenSpawn Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds to me like he's afraid that you'll take his job if you get more experience by participating on those projects. I would either try to ask more responsibilities in a round about way that doesn't exactly involve projects or start looking for another job if you feel like you're not going anywhere, as in up in the company. You can also try to discuss your situation with him or HR.

My last boss was good in a sense that if I asked for more responsibilies so I can learn new things, he encouraged that but when it came to the administrative side of things, he said no since 'even he isn't supposed to have administrative power' since they were centrally managed from another site. On the other hand, he did have a fear of loosing his job so of course he wouldn't give you anything to do if it would jeapordize his position.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    What is your job description and what is it you want to do but are not allowed?
  • Options
    garv221 wrote:
    What is your job description and what is it you want to do but are not allowed?

that is a good question icon_eek.gif i would see whats in your job description.. and if these things are mentioned then i would take it to him in a nice manner icon_wink.gif then if that gets no where HR.. all the while preparing plan B ( a new gig)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think I agree with the earlier sentiment of finding a new job. If these projects, or types of projects, are part of your job description, then he's being unfair. If they're not, and you're qualified to be assisting, at least, then he's just putting you under a glass ceiling. I'd say get out of there, find something better. Spend the time getting another cert or two under your belt, if need be, so you can find something that'll better suit you.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Slowhand wrote:
    ... then he's being unfair.
    icon_clown.gif

Compensatory behavior exhibited by mid and lower level supervisors with a Napoleon complex may also include being overly aggressive or argumentative and a need to over-achieve, which all serve to give the person a sense of greater self worth.

It's just a job. icon_rolleyes.gif Don't spend a lot of time trying to make it something it is not. If this particular position does not suit your needs, find one that does.
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    What ever happened to the fine art of kissing up? If you're the type of person that feels like you have to know everything and takes alot of initiative, you are going to come off as a threat to this boss.

If you decide to stay, you might want to consider a more subtile approach. Don't come off as stupid, but you may want to clearly act like you don't know nearly as much as he does. Start by asking technical questions about things that you know he knows about. Be interested in what he has to say, even if you know the answer, act like you learned something new. Be facinated by what he has to say and thank him for the information.

You need to act like you can't do anything without him and that you need him. But, again, be subtile, don't come off like an idiot - just needing to know. Don't ever say that you already knew something that he is trying to teach you. Don't worry about what kind of reference that he is going to give you when you change jobs - no matter what, he will down play your skills since he doesn't really know or care what they are.

Be a yes man and bide your time. He's a control freak, but whether you know it or not you're the one in control - if you stroke his ego and make him feel powerful and important, you will earn his trust and he will begin to impart his knowledge and start letting his guard down a bit. His job is the world to him and he has tied his survival in with it. You know better, you know you can leave whenever you want.

Remember, this whole process takes time and patience. You just can't walk in and earn his trust in one day.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    HotKeys68 wrote:
    WindowsLM wrote:
    keenon wrote:
    no, its not common..

Thank you very much!

I know and I have even tried to go around him by starting to study for the 2003 MCSA and it makes him angry because he doesn't want to put any effort into updating his own knowledge...

It makes him angry because you are studying for the MCSA? I take it he's not certified right? That is truly a shame that you are having difficulties, but don't let anyone take away your thirst for knowledge. Keep pursuing your certs and if the advice that others here have given you don't work then I would take my knowledge somewhere else.
  • Options
    Thank you all very much for your advice! I appreciate it and it's nice to hear that I am not the only one to have dealt with this before. My job description is very old and doesn't have much on it. I guess I will bide my time to atleast get a year in and I am going to take the 70-290 to get my mcsa going. Who knows by then it may get easier!