Options

Did my friend fried a SCSI disk?

Hello friends,

Something strange happened today... A friend of mine bought two "used" SCSI drives, 18 GB each U320 for his 2850 Dell server. Hr tested the drives before taking them and they were OK...

He installed the drives in the server... booted up.. and accessed the SCSI controller BIOS. The drives were detected normally. Then he told me he "Formatted on drive using the SCSI controller BIOS utility" and because it took so long, he cancelled the operation.

From that point onwards, the disk was detected but the SCSI controlle BIOS returned an error stating "Unexpected SCSI command Failed"... the disk can't be formatted or detected by Windows.

Any ideas? Did he fried it?

Comments

• Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    in a word... yes.
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    How exactly did your friend "cancel the operation?" And were there any error messages immediately indicated by the BIOS after the operation was canceled?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    jdmurray wrote:
    How exactly did your friend "cancel the operation?" And were there any error messages immediately indicated by the BIOS after the operation was canceled?

I was thinking the same thing. If the machine was simply restarted or a hard shutdown was performed in the middle of the formatting operation, the drive could very well be FUBAR'ed.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The SCSI bios Format taketh -- maybe it can giveth back too. Before you toss it in the fried electronic recycling bin, you may want to give the SCSI Controller (or another controller on another machine if this server is a production server) a chance to verify and/or format it -- this time to completition (or over a long weekend before you give up on it).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mikej412 wrote:
    The SCSI bios Format taketh -- maybe it can giveth back too.

I am going to print that out on a poster and have our resident system builder post it in his lab. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Some side effects of doing a LLF: If a power failure occurs while a LLF is in progress, the drive may be left in an unusable state, requiring return to the manufacturer for repair. It is safest to do this on a system with a UPS. This can also happen if you interrupt the LLF before it finishes.
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    jdmurray wrote:

in his words: "it was taking too long... so I did a reset" icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    The SCSI bios Format taketh -- maybe it can giveth back too. Before you toss it in the fried electronic recycling bin, you may want to give the SCSI Controller (or another controller on another machine if this server is a production server) a chance to verify and/or format it -- this time to completition (or over a long weekend before you give up on it).

Well Mike, I did suggest him to place the drive in another server with another RAID controller... same thing... I think the BIOS format stayed with the Taketh part :)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Before your friend scraps the drive, have him email Gibson Research (support2006@grc.com) with a complete description of the problem and the events that lead to it, and ask if their SpinRite utility can possibly fix it. SpinRite does support SCSI drives, but it may not be able to repair a drive that isn't properly recognized by the SCSI controller. It's worth an email to ask.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
  • Options
    Thanks JD!

I believe he ordered a new one... But I will pass him the e-mail. I guessed he learnt the lesson by now :)