What I thought I new about permissions....

w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
I was taking a practice exam and received the following question:

A folder called Reports on Server01 resides in the Marketing\Summary folder. The Marketing folder is shared on the network with the name MKTG. Users should not be able to Read, Modify, or Add any files in the Marketing or Summary folders, but need to have access to the files in the Reports folder. What is the minimum NTFS permission that these users need on the Marketing and Summary folders to access the files in the Reports folder from across the network?

I answered correctly with the answer of "Traverse Folder/Execute Files."

However, I thought it would be fun to try and build the above folder structure and test it out. I soon realized that I cannot duplicate what was described in the question.

I started by creating a shared folder called MKTG.
I gave Everyone Full control share permissions.
Administrators were granted Full Control NTFS permissions.

I granted User1 the "traverse folder" permissions only,
but for some reason, this user can view the contents, delete
files, etc.

It seems that the Share permissions for Everyone are applying here.
I thought that the most restrictive permission applies here? Any ideas?

If someone could actually reproduce the folder structure described in the question and tell me how you did it, that may explain a lot. Thanks.

Comments

• SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    what happens when u look at the effective permissions under advanced options.

are permissions possialby inheriting from another location on the drive.
  • w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    Smallguy wrote:
    what happens when u look at the effective permissions under advanced options.

are permissions possialby inheriting from another location on the drive.

You know, you could have saved me an hour of frustration. Thanks.
    Actually, I figured it out by checking who was listed as a member of the Administrators group. Sure enough, "Authenticated Users." Don't ask. I'm sure the effective permissions would have told me that sooner.