Options

Resume critique

nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
Please give me some harsh critiques.. and some ideas on what I need to change.

http://www.genshiro.com/Resume_Andrew_Smith.doc

Thanks!

:D
GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)

Comments

• Options
    WindowsLMWindowsLM Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know you said harsh critiques, but keep in mind, this is all constuctive critisism :).

I would remove any and all sentences in your resume. A good resume shouldn't have any sentences on it at all. An employer should be able to glance at your resume, and know your skills and what you want in about 15 seconds. Make the highlights bullets.

I see no Objective on your resume. What do you want to do? I would combine you skills and system profencies, and remove your words explaining what was done, save that for your interview. Also, remove your WU college, it doesn't add anything since nothing was gained. I would put the year that your graduated with your associates instead of the timeframe of when you went there.

I know my resume isn't the best, but feel free to glance at it for a general idea of what i explained above.

My resume

you can also go here for some pointers as well. I know that some of what i said contradicts what is in that thread, objective for one. Hope some of this was helpful :)
  • Options
    The reason I didn't add an objective is because I read this article. Given that, and I am pretty much looking for anything that I can get in an office I decide to leave it out.

http://www.careerjournal.com/jobhunting/resumes/19971231-half3.html

Anyway, I will keep those in mind when I change it around. I wouldn't mind if I could get a couple more peoples response too.

Thanks. :D
  • Options
    WindowsLMWindowsLM Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No problem, and of course, on things like this i like lots of input. I'm sure keenon and others will definately comment, and have much better opinions/suggestions than i could offer.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    heres a link that can help

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15164

the first line is make it just summary

tighten up the overal summary explaination/story

remove the skills profeciency and make it just skills

i would remove the profecient in summary divide into software and then operating systems.

the second is programming .. make it programming languages

if u have experience in networking make it have its own catagory

explain the jobs a little better ... like in day to day duties/responsiblities fashion

under education.. remove personal stuff this should be fact only.. if they want to know if u did or didn't finish they'll ask
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I'd recommend getting a different email address one that looks more professional instead of like a nickname.
  • Options
    DeJayDeJay Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    However, it was put on hold after being involved in a very serious car accident.

In the US, it is illegal for a prospective employer to ask about medical history. You must remove this line from your resume. If an employer were to call you in for an interview after looking at this resume, they would open themselves up to legal liability. 99.9% of employers would avoid this risk by just not calling you in for an interview.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    after updating resume with changes please repost for review
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Everyone now know's where you live and your phone number!!! icon_eek.gif I'm guessing you have some Cisco routers in your apartment or some other computer equipment? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    I live in an area where I face bigger threats... people stalking me from a certs forum is my last concern. icon_eek.gif Yeah I will post it once I make the changes.
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Nothing really more to add to the above recommendations, but I wanted to comment on something when reviewing your resume.

I believe it is extremely strong and positive when someone who identifies graphic and/or design responsibilities and experience give the reviewer a place to see this demonstrated. You do this by providing the web site to the genshiro. The web site is very well laid out and professional, and the fact that your contact email address is on the home page adds additional credibility.

If possible, I would enhance your title in addition to Founder, such as Founder / Designer, etc...

My only other suggestion, is to use similar design qualities with your resume. The web site looks artistic and professional, but your resume doesn't give the same feeling to the viewer. I'm not saying make your resume a work of art or anything, but the layout and design can definitely be used to display some of the skill presented within the resume itself, as well as differentiate it from the rest of the objective...skill...education resumes coming across someones desk.

Good luck!

Take Care,
    Rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    Question related to topic:

Suppose I work somewhere for a temporary basis (ie deployment) and I come back to the same position as when I left. What would the order be for those locations in terms of the date? Would I put my present position first, my deployed position second or would I put an "other" type section for the deployed position only?
    Reloaded~4~Ever