Options

Network Print Driver Corruption

neo468neo468 Member Posts: 123
I have been experiencing intermitent printer driver corruption on network printers installed on xp professional desktops. It is a microsoft network, with 2003 servers. I have a file print server that has the network printers on it. The common message is printer is not installed, when the user tries to print even though the printer is installed. A reinstall of the problem takes care of it. It is intermitent, meaning it occurs on different desktops, and not an a consistent basis. The driver corruption only occurs on network installed printers not local printers. Any of you experienceing this problem? Are there any resolutions to it?
1's and 0's

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds to me more like the print spooler service is crapping out. Next time it happens, restart that service, and then try to print again. When you go into the Printers menu, are there any printers listed?
  • Options
    neo468neo468 Member Posts: 123
    Yes it lists the printers installed, and allows you to select it but when you hit print it says the printer is not installed.
    1's and 0's
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if this happens restart the spooler through cmd prompt its quicker

Open a command prompt

c:\>net stop spooler
    c:\>net start spooler

If you already know this sorry not trying to patrionise you!

Cheers

Malc
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does your print server have the latest Windows Updates applied? You might want to check the server and make sure the server service, comptuer browser, etc isn't stopped. There are exploits out in the wild that work as a denial of service and crash those services from a remote computer. Had a couple of those at my work.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...