Options

Web Hosting

elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
Ok guys....... i need some inputs here

at present i'm building three dynamic websites for publishing.....and i thought why not get a server and host these sites myself and make a little extra dough.

Question is>> i'm also currently studying for MCSE and would love to have a lab with server 2003 settup, Can i use standard server2003 settup as a web server and also use it to host these sites.

And if this is possible can u guys guide me on the best settup methods to use?
stonecold26.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes you can. You will have to configure Host Header values so that you can access multiple sites from one public ip address.
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    I would configure Host Headers and different ports for each site.............
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jescab wrote:
    I would configure Host Headers and different ports for each site.............

No idea why you'd do that. If you're working on an edition of Server 2003, you can have multiple web sites. You can have all the websites running on the same ip and same port. As long as you create a host header for them, the server will be able to distinguish which web site is which.

For example:

You have 3 websites -
    www.example1.com which goes to 22.33.44.55 port 80
    www.example2.com which goes to 22.33.44.55 port 80
    www.example3.com which goes to 22.33.44.55 port 80

You'd think that there'd be issues since they're all using the same ip and port. The thing with host headers, is that if you create a host header for example1 site to be www.example1.com, a host header for example2 to be www.example2.com, and a host header for example 3 to be www.example3.com, when a client types in www.example1.com, even though it goes to the same ip and port, the web server will be able to see there is a host header for that site with the same name the client typed in, and the server will direct them to the correct site.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Host headers are a good way to go, or better yet you can set up a service redirect on your firewall ahead of your web server. This is called different things on different firewalls, but the main thing is if you are going to host some websites make sure and have a decent firewall in place.

BTW - If you do use Host Headers be aware that SSL didn't work unti IIS6 onl W2K3 SP1.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187504
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Nice tip Royal..........I will have to go re-read that section in teh book but I am sure it said Host Headers and Ports.

Thanks alot for that handy little tip. Now I know you only need to change the Host Headers.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are a few problems with changing the ports:

1) You have to type the port in on the address bar every time -- the user would have to know the port numbers too. http://www.whatever.com:4594

2) You have to make sure the other ports are open on the firewall. Typically 80 and 8080 are open but if you change the settings around you will have to open those ports also.

It might have been referring to SSL (443) but I would highly suggest not changing the port numbers if at all possible. I'd implement host headers and be done with it.
  • Options
    Gotcha brotha thanks!
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    thks a lot guys for the input

much appreciated: Cheers
    stonecold26.jpg