Options

Urgent advice - Interview tomorrow [Updated]

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
I have an internal interview tomorrow, up until earlier today i was fairly confident untill i found out another colleague who has gone for the same position.

To put it shortly he knows more than i do.

What can I do to tip the scales my way?

Things i have thought of putting forward:

- I have worked on migration project from NT4 to 2003 and Win98 to WinXP.
- I work extended hours (out side core hours, weekends etc) and have experience of dealing with high priority faults on my own
- No disrepect to him but he looks scruffy, i intend not to.
- I am actively seeking my MCSA and not planning to stop there, he isnt.
[edit - I also regularly cover sickness/leave at short notice]

Obviously i cant say im better than Mr A becase...... I will make sure these are mentioned (apart from the scruffy which will be obvious) to highlight my strengths.

Any other ideas guys?

And that all important question?
"What are your weakness'?"

ANY input would be greatly appriciated.

{UPDATE}

Had interview went good i think just have to wait and see now.

One question he did ask was if you had MD of company call demanding you fix his fault and on other hand had 400 users with a problem which would you sort first.

I said 400 users as i would class these as a higher priority but obviously explain that politely to the MD.
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    interviews are subjective

there no rhyme or reason in some cases.. most want to know if u have the skills, do the work, work on a team and communicate..

i generally don't give a sh$t and speak the truth but never bad mouth current or last employer .. i may point out opportunities that they missed for growth

i once told an interviewer ( this is true)

interviewer: what would your last employer have to say about you?

me: o, those people love me to death icon_wink.gif

i got a call back the next day for another interview with them icon_lol.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    Trust me, you don't always have to know more to get the job. Just make sure you walk in confident of what you do know. Answer the questions to the best of your knowledge, don't BS and show them that if you don't know the answer, you'd know how to get it.

Also, be sure they know you learn hands on (if you truly do) and that once you're in the environment you'll apply what you do know and quickly fill in the gaps.

Show that you're eager to meet new challenges and can't wait to grow within the position. Someone once told me that charisma goes a long way and I didn't really believe it until this past Monday when I got a job that I felt the other guys knew more than me, but I was myself and showed them that I wanted to be a contributing part of their team.

If they're looking for someone to fit in good and you fit in, they may overlook a lack of qualifications if the other guy isn't a good fit. Unless of course they're only concerned with technical skills and don't care about soft skills, in that case you may not even want to work their.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Cheers guys, i'll bear these points in mind.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools