Options

how much does degree at night school in USA cost?

I have heard people doing a degree(IT) at night schools, approx how much do these cost to do and how long did it take you to complete it?

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It seems to really depend on the school. In general, I have found that a good on-line or night school degree (BA or BS) will run somewhere between $45,000-$70,000 and can take anywhere from 3-6 years to complete. Costs are usually based on X dollars per credit hour. In my case I think it was around $350/credit, so a course that was 3 credits cost $1050, while a 9 credit course cost $3150 plus books. Since I need 192 credits to graduate it would cost me a total of about $67,000 plus books.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Online (Distance Learning) schools are usually more inexpensive, but for IT you'll miss the lack of the hands-on labs available at traditional schools.
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    It seems to really depend on the school. In general, I have found that a good on-line or night school degree (BA or BS) will run somewhere between $45,000-$70,000 and can take anywhere from 3-6 years to complete. Costs are usually based on X dollars per credit hour. In my case I think it was around $350/credit, so a course that was 3 credits cost $1050, while a 9 credit course cost $3150 plus books. Since I need 192 credits to graduate it would cost me a total of about $67,000 plus books.

Damm, thats very expensive! It costs about a 1/10th of that for a 3 year Degree, even doing a Degree and masters won't come close to that! Where do you find that sort of cash from??
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    wildfire wrote:

Damm, thats very expensive! It costs about a 1/10th of that for a 3 year Degree, even doing a Degree and masters won't come close to that! Where do you find that sort of cash from??

You work and save for it or pay as you go along.

Of course wealthy parents or parents that work their @ss off to give their spoiled child everything is another method. As well as the other less desirable way (and one I don't recommend, though many do it) through student loans.

I still fancy working while attending school. This way you don't have a huge debt when you graduate....merely upgrade to a better job.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I've always worked while attending school. And good personal credit has allowed me to secure a student load to get my Masters degree. But the fact is the amount of money you will spend on any degree depends on what the school you attend charges per unit, and the number of units (semester or quarter) required to graduate. The rates can vary from $40US/unit to $400US/unit. It just depends on the school. You attend what you can afford.
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Wow! Fortunately in the UK we have a 3,000 pounds-per-year limit. That is, they can't charge you more than that. And that's actually kinda recent, as it used to be 1,000.
    witty comment
  • Options
    So Oxford and Cambridge can't charge you more than £3K per year? For how many years after you graduate are they allowed to charge you? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    jdmurray wrote:
    So Oxford and Cambridge can't charge you more than £3K per year? For how many years after you graduate are they allowed to charge you? icon_wink.gif
    Ask your kids :P
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    thanks for the replys guys, the cost seem high compard to uk, my girlfrind did a 3 year degree at a large uni in london and she walked away with degree and 14k of debt. I think the debt gets wiped after 25 years, also you only pay back a small amount on wages over 18k.

Its always good to hear how different countries charge etc, its been quite an eye opener this thread, thanks again.
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    So Oxford and Cambridge can't charge you more than £3K per year? For how many years after you graduate are they allowed to charge you?

Nope the can't, Im not sure if you are not a European Union resident, but If say I gave up work and applied to Oxford it would cost me 3K in fees plus whatever books etc, the rest is funded by the government etc, but to get in Oxford or camb you have to be 1. Son or a Lord or Lady 2. Make Einstien look stupid 3. Be a Rowing champion 4. Speak like Hugh Grant.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    rockstar81 wrote:
    thanks for the replys guys, the cost seem high compard to uk, my girlfrind did a 3 year degree at a large uni in london and she walked away with degree and 14k of debt. I think the debt gets wiped after 25 years, also you only pay back a small amount on wages over 18k.

Its always good to hear how different countries charge etc, its been quite an eye opener this thread, thanks again.

The loans you get here are through banks or lending companies. A lot of the time they make you get a co-signer and in the contract it says that even if you die, the co-signer or next of kin is responsible for paying it back.

I know many people leaving some schools with around 100k in loans. However, if you get in to some of the top school (Harvard, MIT, Stanford, etc) they have endowments. Since, they are in the end just a business they take their profits and invest them. Which allows them to give some students money for school. Example, my girlfriend got her masters from MIT for around $5000. This is a school that costs about $38,000 a year.

If she had to pay full price her degree would have cost around $228,000.
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)