Options

Booting from PXE on a network with a Linksys router.

wolflord97wolflord97 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everybody. I am playing with RIS and I have a question regarding PXE (PreBoot Execution Environment). I would like to know if when booting from PXE and the machine requests an IP from DHCP, does a Lynksys router responds to that request??

I am setting up a Win2k Server at home, and I am using the router as gateway and DHCP. I also have RIS setup on the server. When I press F12 at boot screen on my computer, it will go to the PXE screen, look for an IP but it fails, and boot normaly to Windows. I have no problem with windows getting a valid IP from the router.

Do I have to setup DHCP on my win2k server for it to work??

Thanks a lot for the help.

Ching

Comments

• Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    I'm not certain of this, but I think the DHCP server has to be authorized in Active Directory, otherwise it will not function. So I think you can use the router to assign IP address, but I think it must be authorized in Active Directory. I may be wrong though, and RIS may require a Windows 2000 DHCP server to be in place. Perhaps other responses will clear this up.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    techman-aka-Formattechman-aka-Format Inactive Imported Users Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with cheeblie. although I don't know much about PXE I think cheeblie is right. If you do not authorize DHCP, then the server will not be able to handle any requests. and since you've already enabled DHCP on the linksys, that would probably explain why the server can't pick up an ip, but the linksys is handling all the dhcp requests. besides if you've configured the linksys as the gateway,and enabled dhcp then you probably don't need to set up dhcp on the server. you're linksys should be handling all the dhcp requests. although I don't think RIS requires a dhcp server.... If I'm wrong someone correct me. techman
    information belongs to the public! hack the planet!
  • Options
    I believe that's the problem, the DHCP server is not authorized. Even though I do not have DHCP set up on my server, I tried to add the linksys router to the authorized servers list in the DHCP mmc, but the server would not connect to the router. I guess that's not the way to go....

I prob will try later to disable DHCP in the linksys and set up my own server. That should work then.

Thanks a lot for the help though.

I am still studing for 70-270, and hopefully will be taking the test soon.

Ching
  • Options
    techman-aka-Formattechman-aka-Format Inactive Imported Users Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey wolflord, did you configure an interface for dhcp on the router? after you create the dhcp pool, you enable an interface for dhcp. then you must have a workstation to pick up an ip, to check to make sure dhcp is working. you connect a workstation and then after configuring dhcp on the router, go into dos on you're workstation, and do an ipconfig/release and then do a ip config/renew. after you do that then do an ipconfig/all. you should see the ip for you're dhcp router. that might be why it's no working. I hope this helps! techman
    information belongs to the public! hack the planet!
  • Options
    Well, the router is working fine. I have a couple of workstation + the server hooked up to it, and they all have ip and access the internet fine.

My first problem now is that when I boot to PXE, it does not get an IP from the router. I was wondering if it's because the DHCP service is from the router. Maybe if I set up the service on my 2k server it will get an IP. I will try that next. I just want to make sure that if I disable DHCP on the router and set up my own, I will not cause problem with my ISP...

Ching

techman22 wrote:
    hey wolflord, did you configure an interface for dhcp on the router? after you create the dhcp pool, you enable an interface for dhcp. then you must have a workstation to pick up an ip, to check to make sure dhcp is working. you connect a workstation and then after configuring dhcp on the router, go into dos on you're workstation, and do an ipconfig/release and then do a ip config/renew. after you do that then do an ipconfig/all. you should see the ip for you're dhcp router. that might be why it's no working. I hope this helps! techman
  • Options
    dtapperdtapper Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A router will give out a DHCP IP address. It has nothing to do with AD authorized DCHP. In fact the PXE boot request has nothing to do with Windows.
    I have done RIS with PXE boot using a Cisco router DHCP assigned IP address. The only problem I have it that it will work with some of my VLANS, but not all.
  • Options
    tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    i may be wrong.. but isnt PXE a L2 protocal?
  • Options
    cndcnd Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The problem isn't with IP addresses.

Your DHCP server is simply not telling your workstation what PXE server to use. If you don't have an option in your router to enter your PXE servers IP address, you'll need to upgrade your router firmware, or get a new router that does DHCP with the PXE stuff too.
    TFTP is what the PXE server itself needs to run to kick the booting process off.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I'm not a big RIS guy so im speaking form purely WDS experience.

The DHCP server must be authorized so the options are set for the PXE stuff. If not, you'd need to set them manually...and as stated before, your router may not support that. If you have a server with RIS, just install DHCP on that server for testing and turn it off on your router.