Options

Token Ring

CypunkCypunk Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi mates,

today i looked again through the first courses of the ICND, and there is a detailed description of Token Ring and Ethernet. i.e. how the Token is running thru the internetwork and stations add data to it.

Is Token Ring also covered in the Exam in the detail?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Because of the confidentiality agreement nobody is allowed to answer 'in the detail', but... you should know the basics as part of the 'network basics' domain. You should be able to get away with reading our Media and Topologies Network+ TechNotes and know how to enter interface configuration mode for a token ring interface on a router... Another important thing is 'knowing of' source-route bridging... I don't think frame info etc is important... anymore.
  • Options
    I didn't want to know how detailed the qestions are. The only thing i want to know was if Token Ring is covered in the exam. Should i know it completely or is only the frame/router point-of-view covered.
    Cisco also has a list about what is covered in the exam, but Token Ring
    is not mentioned.
    I was a bit confused about this.

Anyway, thank you for the answer.
  • Options
    Just found this in a different threat,

Skidogg wrote:
    You used to have to learn all these bridging types for CCIE, but not anymore as Token-ring has been removed from the CCIE exam

[/i]
  • Options
    cresswellscresswells Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Given that CCNA is preparation for the real world and that lot's of IBM shops still have Token Ring comprising some or all of their LAN population, you should know about Token Ring anyway.

You can be asked about fringe technologies or protocols, AppleTalk, decNet, Token ring, FDDI, even ATM these days.

You might be asked. You might not. If you get too many and you don't know, you will fail.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Given that CCNA is preparation for the real world and that lot's of IBM shops still have Token Ring comprising some or all of their LAN population, you should know about Token Ring anyway.

I agree, although I won't go to far on the real world part, as with any vendor they want to push their latest technologies as well...

but AppleTalk and Decnet have been removed from the exam years ago when it changed from 640-507 to 607... Besides from possibly access list ranges and the fact that EIGRP can route it, you won't be asked about AppleTalk... and DecNet neither.

If you do want to know AppleTalk, which never hurts, read our popular AppleTalk TechNotes