Options

Linux+ Before RHCE?

For someone who has messed around with Linux (Ubuntu), configured an FTP server, but that's it.

Would it be a better move to go for Linux+ first, then RHCE?

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would certainly think so. I have looked through the objectives and curriculum on both. The Linux+ is basics and (supposedly) vendor neutral. The RHCE is very difficult. Pick up any of the RHCE books at your local bookstore and see what they expect of you. It's not for the faint of heart or "casual" linux user. It's for Red Hat guru's. There is an interim Red Hat certification for technicians, the RHCT.

Here is a good FAQ on the Red Hat certs:
    https://www.redhat.com/training/rhce/rhce_faq.html
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I would definately head in the direction of Linux+ first, if you don't really have a lot of Linux experience. I had next to none when I first started out studying for the exam, and I feel like it helped me wrap my head around a lot of concepts that are assumed for things like RHCE or LPIC. Linux+ is, by no means, going to make you an expert on all things open source, but it'll get you some introductory experience; get your hands dirty, so to speak.

Anyone pursuing LPIC, RHCE, SCSA, etc. . . is definately going to benefit from the groundwork received in Linux+. It is to higher-level Linux certifications what Network+ (and often A+) is to CCNA and/or MCSE.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    Anyone pursuing LPIC, RHCE, SCSA, etc. . . is definitely going to benefit from the groundwork received in Linux+. It is to higher-level Linux certifications what Network+ (and often A+) is to CCNA and/or MCSE.

I would sort of agree with this. The only thing I'd like to add is that the RHCE is *way* *way* tougher than the Linux+, far more so than that analogy points out. Perhaps It would be better to say what the N+ is to a CCNP. Or an A+ to an <Insert Wonderful Microsoft Certification Here>
  • Options
    Tesl wrote:
    I would sort of agree with this. The only thing I'd like to add is that the RHCE is *way* *way* tougher than the Linux+, far more so than that analogy points out. Perhaps It would be better to say what the N+ is to a CCNP. Or an A+ to an <Insert Wonderful Microsoft Certification Here>

You're probably right about that. At the time I wrote my original reply, I hadn't really looked at any CCNA stuff in-depth. After answering some of the questions in the CCNA forums and poking around Cisco's site, I'm discovering that the CCNA isn't quite as complex as it's made out to be. (Not that it isn't hard, I'm sure it is. . . just not as mind-blowingly difficult as people would have you believe.) And, from talking to my Sr. Network Engineer here at work, who is a CCNP and is working on his CCIP, the MCSA seems to be more on the level of CCNA, and MCSE would be a closer (but not exact) parallel to CCNP and RHCE, in terms of scope and difficulty.

Either way, I always recommend that newbies start out with the CompTIA certs, since they are usually a good way to get your hands dirty and be introduced to the technologies you're working with. It's sort of like taking an "intro to" kind of a thing, before going on to the next-level certs like MCSA/CCNA/RHCT and then on to MCSE/CCNP/RHCE. (And don't forget about the LPI exams for anyone studying Linux certs, but aren't sure which distro you want to commit to.)

• Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Just to let you know , from what I have heard, the RHCE is all lab.
  • Options
    You can find information regarding the RHCE (RH302) Exam here. Keep in mind, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 is out, so you may want to hold off on testing for version 4, and go for 5 instead. Even though version 5 is already out, the big launch-event for it will be at Linuxworld, so check it out if you get the chance.