Options

DNS dynamic updates

bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
After failing with a 535 mainly because of DNS, I decided to buy an extra book, syngress and studied really hard on DNS.

I think I have a much better understanding now. I have this one spot needing clarification:

Win2k3 DNS servers need to also be Domain Controllers in order for Active Directory-integrated zone transfers to happen...otherwise it could only preform traditional zone transfers,

Now with secure dynamic updates which requires authentication, the servers will also need to be domain controllers as well because they need to be active directory-integrated.

Is this correct?

Re-taking the test this Thursday...hoping I wont need to re-schedule icon_rolleyes.gif
Jack of all trades, master of none

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, you are correct.

A DC doesn't necessarily have to be a DNS server, although it is recommended for fault tolerance as well as it is more efficient depending on your AD Design and Server placement.

Secure DDNS requires Active Directory integrated zones. Like you said, in order for a DNS Server to host an AD-integrated zone, that DNS Server must also be a DC. Therefore, if you're using AD, you'll want to use AD-integrated DNS which allows for DDNS secure updates. This is because secure DDNS requires you to be authenticated on a domain for it to allow a client to establish an A record inside of the AD-integrated primary zone.

Good luck on your exam.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    hey why don't you try using CBT nuggets or Trainsignal
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    elover_jm wrote:
    hey why don't you try using CBT Nuggets or Trainsignal

because they are extremely expensive. $200 for one exam is quite abit of money. Another reason is because I usually study while commuting, converting the video to my pda, or bringing a portable dvd player isnt a good option for me.

Having loose-leaf notes or printouts is better.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Jack of all trades, master of none