70-291 or 70-270

nevets2001uknevets2001uk Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm taking my first Microsoft exam since 2004, the 70-290 on Tuesday and due to a tight schedule will be booking another exam on the following Monday.

I'm trying to decide whether to book the 70-291 or 70-270. I was told that 70-291 builds a bit on the 70-290 so might be worth doing fairly soon after. How accurate is this advice?

The 70-270 is less important as I actually hold the 70-210 but want to take this test anyway (glutton for punishment!!). I use Windows XP day in day out but was told that it also requires a fair deal of GPO and Server knoweldge as well and may be worth leaving to the end.

Any suggestions as to which I should book next?

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    I was told that 70-291 builds a bit on the 70-290 so might be worth doing fairly soon after. How accurate is this advice?

I wouldn't say that was good advice. Depending on how comfortable you are with network infrastructure topics I would say get 270 out the way first and then concentrate on 291. 291 covers topics such as DNS, custom subnetting, IPSEC and RRAS and for me it was the hardest exam I've taken in the MCSE track.

Good luck with your decision!
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • nevets2001uknevets2001uk Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. That's kind of where I was leaning. The only thing that swayed me was my trainers advice and the fact that I don't actually require the 70-270 to achieve the MCSE.

Since there's only a few days between exams I think I'll go with the 70-290 and then the 70-270 and leave the 70-291 for my next exam. I'll be taking that in about 3.5 weeks so it will give me a bit more time to brush up on my skills.

Anyone have any different views?

Cheers,
    Steve
  • davenportdavenport Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm in a bit of a different situation than you but I'm taking the 291 before the 270. I took the 290 first and got it out of the way. I started to study for the 270 next and a little ways into it I got to thinking, you're already on the studying about servers kick you might as well hang in there and knock this one out too. Plus I was thinking it would be nice to sit the 70-270 knowing that I'll have my mcsa when I finish it. Rather than sitting in front of the 270 thinking, if I pass this I just have the hardest test to take to get my mcsa. lol :D

Either way, good luck with it!
  • nevets2001uknevets2001uk Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After thinking it all through I've booked the 70-270 as my second exam. This will give me more time to study for the 70-291 exam after that.

Thanks for all the advice.

Steve
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Good choice..............
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE