Options

Chicago Job Market

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
Like a lot of people here, I'm trying to get into the IT field. After a social sciences degree... I decided I wanted to follow my heart and pursue IT.

Right now I only have an A+ cert, but I'm probably going to take the Net+ in a few weeks, and the first MCP a month after that.

Right now, I'm in the chicago area... am I marketable at all? Is there any way I can start to get experience? I'm in just a general administration job right now making around 30k, and I would settle for an IT job that paid around the same... I'm not trying to jump into a 45k job (wouldn't turn one down though)

Anyone from the chicago area (or elsewhere) would love some input

Thanks,
BT

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You probably don't want to give up your day job to try temping....

Keep an eye on the suburban paper want ads (like the Herald) -- there won't be much, but a great company I used to work for would start there if positions couldn't be filled by internal referals. You could still use the job boards/agencies/CareerBuilder/Tribune to check for things in Chicago (if you don't mind the commute)

You could also try for a part time (weekends) position at those "chain stores" that do PC repairs -- they may have a need.

Another option -- take classes at the local Community College. There may not be much in the job placement office as far as "good" jobs go -- but some instructors get calls for "talent" -- but it depends on the instructor. You may have to take a few classes before you find/impress an instructor with connections. You should also get to know your fellow students -- they may have an inside track to jobs where they work.

It probably just comes down to keep taking shots until you get a lucky break.

Up to a point -- the certifications will help to get your resume pulled from a stack for a look.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    xxtd0gxxxxtd0gxx Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I live in the suburbs of Chicago... I had a job offer working for a hospital on 65th but went ahead and started working for a school district... So for breaking in, maybe look at schools or something. It worked for me. I dunno... Benefits and everything paid. 37k/year
    Tom G
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    xxtd0gxx wrote:
    I live in the suburbs of Chicago... I had a job offer working for a hospital on 65th but went ahead and started working for a school district... So for breaking in, maybe look at schools or something. It worked for me. I dunno... Benefits and everything paid. 37k/year

Did you just have your A+ when you applied?