Options

IE7 is here!! IE7 is here!!

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,030 Admin
OK, it's not that exciting to us FireFox users, but for people waiting for the offical release, Internet Explorer 7 is here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx

IE7 is a recommended security update for all Windows XP and Server 2003 systems, even if you use a non-Microsoft browser by default. IE is part of the Windows OS itself, and network-aware software on your computer can use IE as well.

Comments

• Options
    grey foxgrey fox Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the link mate.
  • Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    Stupid IE 7.0.
    Although I will end up installing it at home because of Automattic updates (and yes I know there is a fix to stop it) I will still use FireFox.

I call it stupid because IE 7.0 is not compatible with some things here at work which in turn caused me more work to make sure it didnt screw up users machines.

But i guess im over it now.

The fix was just making sure all the computers accounts in AD were in the correct OU. That will allow us to roll out IE7 when we are ready (using WSUS).
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Well to keep it up with MS style, it seems theres a bug already.... LOL!
  • Options
    MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    I've been running the beta IE7 since it came out & I love it! No problems whatsoever. Firefox blows!

Hehe, I bet that pisses some people off :)
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i like firefox.. the extension and plug-ins are fabulous icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    Fabulous! Naw, I'm just playin...I use both, actually
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I love IE7 and have used Beta since it was available. Only problem with it was that it is not compatible with the Dell site and I had to go back to IE6 so that I could access my account information. I hope Dell fixes that soon icon_confused.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I've noticed several complex Web sites that have features that don't work with IE7. Displaying certain types of graphics seems to be broken too. I'll be staying with FF2RC3 for now.

And no software company releases software that is "bug free." Microsoft has a maximum threshold of known bugs that must be crossed before it will release software. For Windows Vista, that threshold is no more than 500 known bugs can exist before Vista will be released. I don't know what that same number is for IE7.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I'm stuck with IE6 at work, until the admins decides to upgrade, which won't be a for while I'd guess. I'm still setting up Windows 2000 on most PCs.....slow stuff....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    That's nothing compared to the legal amount of bugs food can have ;)

As for IE 7 not working with some pages, firefox doesn't...CSS... uhmm., I mean, new software is often not fully backward compatible. New IE versions always mean many webmasters have to (or at least should, or can) update their sites. I consider that progress. Even though IE is created to browse the web, much of the web is created to be browsed by IE. Which means if IE improves, so can they.

The real problem is the lack of standard, and that's why I, and many other site owners, would rather see everyone use the same browser. Whether it's IE or firewulf... I'll pull up some stats from the server as I did a couple of years ago, showing the percentage of visitors per browser.
    JD wrote:
    IE is part of the Windows OS itself
    Microsoft (as well as I) would have loved to have you on the stand as an expert witness. Because the judge was able to uninstall IE from XP, he concluded that it's not a mandatory part of the OS. Since then we (EU) and since this incompetent lady from my country who's name I don't even want the mention here had her mind poisoned, we are and we'll be getting cleaned out versions of Windows, including Vista. I expect it to contain IE though... I hope ;)
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

The TC got the link wrong. icon_lol.gif

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    You mean 2.5 rat droppings per ounce of baby food? The food preparation industry certainly has a strong lobby over here in Washington DC. icon_mad.gif
    Webmaster wrote:
    As for IE 7 not working with some pages, firefox doesn't...CSS... uhmm., I mean, new software is often not fully backward compatible.

IE7 certainly has some performance problem with regards to CSS that FireFox doesn't. It's quite noticeable, really.
    Webmaster wrote:
    JD wrote:
    IE is part of the Windows OS itself
    Microsoft (as well as I) would have loved to have you on the stand as an expert witness. Because the judge was able to uninstall IE from XP, he concluded that it's not a mandatory part of the OS.
    And I'll bet after successfully removing the steering wheel from his car the judge declared it to be an optional accessory too. Microsoft did the same thing with their "Windows N" release for the EU to make Windows Media Player an (*cough cough*) optional component (*cough cough*) of Windows. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    And I'll bet after successfully removing the steering wheel from his car the judge declared it to be an optional accessory too.
    icon_lol.gif "See, it still starts!"

I just don't like it when 'users' influence what runs on my computer. It's really silly because the only difference is that we end up installing products separately. "Buy Vista now, get Media Player, and Internet Explorer free*"

(* Media Player and Internet Explorer are included on separate disks, and are not part of the Windows Vista operating system.)
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    Webmaster wrote:
    You mean 2.5 rat droppings per ounce of baby food? The food preparation industry certainly has a strong lobby over here in Washington DC. icon_mad.gif

C'mon guys, I just ate.... icon_tongue.gificon_sad.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    jdmurray wrote:
    Webmaster wrote:

So you were eating baby food? icon_lol.gif

Where do you think the Protein levels come from ;)

And if you really want to think about food and the food packaging industry. You really should look into Jell-o and gelatine. Foods like SPAM and other things that contain that gelatenous goo require gelatine....and well...the process is utterly fascinating!!!

http://yarchive.net/chem/gelatin.html

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question557.htm

Of course, neither article explains the decomposition process of removing the flesh from the bones....that's the best!! ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    jdmurray wrote:
    Webmaster wrote:

So you were eating baby food? icon_lol.gif

Where do you think the Protein levels come from ;)

And if you really want to think about food and the food packaging industry. You really should look into Jell-o and gelatine. Foods like SPAM and other things that contain that gelatenous goo require gelatine....and well...the process is utterly fascinating!!!

http://yarchive.net/chem/gelatin.html

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question557.htm

Of course, neither article explains the decomposition process of removing the flesh from the bones....that's the best!! ;)

Stop it! Just stop it! icon_eek.gificon_exclaim.gificon_tongue.gif

Where's the hurl emoticon when you need it??
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Now what were we talking about? Oh yeah, JD said something about IE7, right? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Now what were we talking about? Oh yeah, JD said something about IE7, right? icon_lol.gif

Yes, IE7....very good! Bad on the Dell website! MS acceptable amount of bugs in software. Bugs in baby food and then decomposition of carcasses to bone grinding to create gelotin.

Yep... IE7 is the topic icon_twisted.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sheesh. After a long week of consulting, it's nice to relax on a friday evening to good ole techexams off topic posts. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Well with IE7 one can take advantage of the tabbed-browser (that was long ago found in Opera as well as in Safari) and research more about things we eat in our food and what the secrets of 'spices' might mean ;)icon_twisted.gif

There may be a couple sites out there that are not updated to handle the new browser so you page may not display properly until the webmasters update that information :)

Totally on topic ;)
    or trying desperately to get back there
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    You mean 2.5 rat droppings per ounce of baby food?

My of favourite Geroge Carlin lines .... Our baby food has 4% less rodent droppings than the other leading brand icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    icon_pale.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

How come this stuff never comes up in a discussion on Firefox? icon_lol.gif

I really wish I cold add some intelligent comments, but I haven't even seen, let alone used, IE7 yet.

So besides tabbed browsing (yipee) what's supposed to be new in IE7? I keep hearing the word "security", anyone have any examples? Is it safe for consumption and will it neutralize poison in baby food and jello? icon_wink.gif:D
  • Options
    One thing I've not heard is how much of the IE6 code-base is in IE7. They've been patching IE6 for five years, so it's pretty solid in most respects. If they completely refactored their code code for IE7--like they did with Vista's TCP/IP stack--then it's a whole new ballgame of bugs and vulnerabilities.
    Webmaster wrote:
    (* Media Player and Internet Explorer are included on separate disks, and are not part of the Windows Vista operating system.)
    Did some EU court actually fall for this, "Our Windows Vista now has 99% less WMP and IE than the the previous Windows XP brand?" I'm really curious to boot up in VMWare an "EU-approved" copy of Windows Vista without IE and see if all my IE-based applications can still communicate with Web servers or not. I'll bet they can.
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    Webmaster wrote:
    Did some EU court actually fall for this, "Our Windows Vista now has 99% less WMP and IE than the the previous Windows XP brand?" I'm really curious to boot up in VMWare an "EU-approved" copy of Windows Vista without IE and see if all my IE-based applications can still communicate with Web servers or not. I'll bet they can.
    I'm not sure if it was at the court back then, but that's what they did for a previous version to avoid problems. I think it was win 95 and ie 4, but I could be wrong. Many end-users know/remember this, and expect the same will happen. I'm not really following it nor do I know the latest rulings, but I believe it's still an ongoing case. I do know that Microsoft won't be allowed to sell Vista in the EU if they include certain products. That doesn't mean you cannot download them, free, immediately after installing Windows. I don't think there will be much of a difference for most end-users, and I don't think it will be a real issue for most developers either. And if I remember correctly, only 2 of the 8 different Vista editions will be EU-nized. But I don't think it's definit yet. I still have good hopes. And it's not really the judge who is too blame, but the SMEs (probably Linux evangelists). And that lady, former minister in my country (most powerful woman in the Netherlands according to Forbes, 44th worldwide), who used MS IE to get some stats from the Internet, used MS Excel to create a silly diagram comparing the profits of MS to 'the others'. She actually said something like 'as you can see, it's not fair...". It's silly, stupid even, and although I know incompetence is world-wide spread virus, it's actually embarrassing for me.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    So besides tabbed browsing (yipee) what's supposed to be new in IE7? I keep hearing the word "security", anyone have any examples?
    Anti-phising. icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/technologies/antiphishing/default.mspx
    Haven't read all the details yet, but it certainly looks like another step forward.