Options

so close, but no cigar

bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
took 291 3 weeks ago and failed with a 535.
I used mcgraw hill All in one MCSA guide, and Meyers 291 Passport.
failed really bad with DNS, and needed more work on security.
I then got syngress 291 e-book, and stuided hardcore for 2 weeks.

This week I read over meyers passport, and some chapters in AIO guide, and went to take the test...

sigh....much closer this time, and I felt must better while writing the test, but not close enough.

failed with a 657 icon_sad.gif

more page flips pour moi
Jack of all trades, master of none

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that friend. icon_sad.gif
    Any idea what went wrong?
    You have the books. Do you feel like you have hit a plateau or do you still have room to improve? Do you have hands-on? It's possible that CBTs or Instructor led training may be the thing you need now.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    I dont know what it is exactly...but I think it's two fold.
    1) I didnt review my stronger areas as much as I should, so I forgot alot of the details, about DHCP, and Network Monitor for example.
    2) I should have did more practice questions.

I guess I'm going to have to review my materials again, do more of the practice questions, and try harder for the next time.

sigh....FTW
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is how I study, maybe it will help you out.

I begin watching all the CBT Nuggets. I then read a book. Which book varies depending on how people rate the book. Right now I'm reading the 294 MSPRESS book which I see quite a few errors that should definitely not have gone unnoticed. I also have backup material as well (another book). I also read tons of technet articles on subjects I am studying about.

While I study I have a notepad which I write down details that I want to remember. Writing down these details helps me remember it as well as gives me an easy reference. Every few days I skim over my notepad to make sure I remember the details and helps me easily committ it to memory better. After I finish the book, I review CBT Nugget videos. I also review sections of the book in which I put sticky notes on.

Basically, in short, I take notes and use sticky notes as well and review every few days to make sure I remember stuff I read in the past. Microsoft Help & Support as well as technet is an awesome source for knowledge.

Good luck and let us know how your next attempt works out for you.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    rphannrphann Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hope third time is a charm. Good luck on your next test.
  • Options
    BeefchiefBeefchief Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did pretty much everything icroyal did, including setting up a test lab of 2 Windows 2K3 machines. I read this forum before I started studying, and realised that this could be a tough exam, so I bought Transcenders as well. The Transcender practice exams were miles ahead of the Leaning Kit exams, and included sims as well.

The 291 exam was never stressful. A score of 960 is nothing to sneeze at :D
  • Options
    gomonngomonn Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think I would have made it without Testout !!! What is nice about this program is that you have lectures, demo and labs + After each course, you have a note (max 1 page) with the key points.
    What I did: I copied the notes into my palm so I could read over and over. Now I realize that most of the questions had to do with the keypoints ......

The point: if you can afford it, a CBT will make a difference

Anyway, Good Luck !
    Working on MCSA and CCNA
  • Options
    NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    it's funny you say no cigar, every time i pass an exam i go out and buy myself a cigar and smoke it with a couple shots of cognac..
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • Options
    gomonn wrote:
    I don't think I would have made it without Testout !!! What is nice about this program is that you have lectures, demo and labs + After each course, you have a note (max 1 page) with the key points.
    What I did: I copied the notes into my palm so I could read over and over. Now I realize that most of the questions had to do with the keypoints ......

The point: if you can afford it, a CBT will make a difference
    Anyway, Good Luck !

I dont think I can afford that kind of training materials right now...so I'm going to have to stick with the traditional way of studying and preparing. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Beefchief wrote:
    I did pretty much everything icroyal did, including setting up a test lab of 2 Windows 2K3 machines. I read this forum before I started studying, and realised that this could be a tough exam, so I bought Transcenders as well. The Transcender practice exams were miles ahead of the Leaning Kit exams, and included sims as well.

The 291 exam was never stressful. A score of 960 is nothing to sneeze at :D

I like this comment, I think I will use my win2k3 box at home and practicing some dns zone transfers, so far I have only used it for what I need, shadow copy, iis, file and print sharing, no dc and no dns yet. Hoping more hands on practice will help.
    n3tw0rkg0d wrote:
    it's funny you say no cigar, every time i pass an exam i go out and buy myself a cigar and smoke it with a couple shots of cognac..

no pass, no cigar, close to pass, but no pass, so no cigar.