Options

Is it too late ?

terry_tamterry_tam Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been working in public library for almost 6 years as a library assistant. No promotion and no raise in salary are the main reasons that lead me to quit this job. I want to get a job in I.T. field. Therefore, I studied hard in the past few months to take the MS exam. Now, I nearly obtained the MCSE just remaing one paper 70-228. A question come in mind that is it too late to join in I.T. field as a guy aged thirty and lack of experience. Actually, I am not recultant to work as a rookie. Please give me some comments! Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would start looking for a job now. Actually, I would have started looking before you got all those cert. You're going to have a mid/high level cert with no experience supporting that knowledge. You'll probably have to start at a help desk or something similar, which an MCSE won't really help there, as it's almost too much. You may get lucky, but you'll have to do grunt work for a while, especially in IT, where experience is worth way more than any cert nowadays. I don't think it's too late, just don't give up. You may want to look at some lower level certs to pad your resume, such as A+, Net+, or Sec+. I don't know many people with MCSE, no experience, and a good IT job......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    I totally agree. Experience is where it's at. Don't worry about being 30. That's still very young. You have some great certs there. If I were you, I'd probably get my A+ and then only put like two of the lower level MS certs on your resume with the A+. Then, once you work somewhere for a while and are looking to advance, bring back all the other tests you have to the resume and finish the MCSE. But maybe someone else has a better strategy...

Good luck!! icon_wink.gif
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with everyone else. You've already got MCP, MCSA, and you are just about to finish up with MCSE. Add a few other entry level certs like A+, Net+, or Sec+ and it'll make you more marketable. Not saying you aren't already marketable but having some lower level certs to your name will look better in my opinion.

You've made the right first steps in going down the certification path but now you need to get the experience.
  • Options
    RavenSpawnRavenSpawn Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would agree as well to add some lowel certs as it would look better on your resume as it would show you have understanding of the basics of computers and networks and the MCSE would indicate a specialization.
    As for getting a job in the IT field, its never too late. As others have mentioned, you may get lucky and get a good job with just your MCSE but no experience may indicate how much you actually know and remember. You might want to try an entry level job to start with to gain some experience, not necessarily a help desk job but maybe at a computer store or company where they build pcs and set up networks and servers for clients. You could learn some tips and tricks from someone who's been doing it for awhile since there are things you can only learn with experience.
    I don't know how you have your resume set up but for certs, I would put down MCP, MCSA 200x and working towards MCSE 200x. To me its sounds better and indicates you already have something concrete other than just mentioning you're working on you MCSE 200x, unless you indicate you only have 1 exam to take and when you expect to complete it.
    My 2 cents.
  • Options
    ms_visioms_visio Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    terry_tam wrote:
    I have been working in public library for almost 6 years as a library assistant. No promotion and no raise in salary are the main reasons that lead me to quit this job. I want to get a job in I.T. field. Therefore, I studied hard in the past few months to take the MS exam. Now, I nearly obtained the MCSE just remaing one paper 70-228. A question come in mind that is it too late to join in I.T. field as a guy aged thirty and lack of experience. Actually, I am not recultant to work as a rookie. Please give me some comments! Thanks!

It's never late to start!! I have seen people in their late 40's 50's attending our CCNA classes @ uni. Well no wonder they dint had networking at their times. But i feel so good about them that they are not shy to make a move.

Regarding job well i do agree it's ur Degree, ur certifications and ur LUCK after all that matters at the end. I know people who scored 10-15% at uni more than me & hell lot of certifications CCNA, CCNP, MCP blah blah and still looking for a DECENT job while i found one 3 months ago in a multi national the DAY i finished uni! Can u believe it..! It was my lucky day. So ur not "old". Dont stop trying. Everyone starts from the bottom! Keep trying and experience will land u into some good IT job one day. Good luck
    :study:
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    everyone is a rookie without there first gig.. take the plunge
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    30 years old!!! YIKES that's ready for retirement icon_twisted.gif

JUST KIDDING :D

Experience will make a difference (or the lack of) however, you likely bring a maturity with you that isn't found in a younger applicant. You may be looking at helpdesk work, but that's ok, because once you prove yourself...you'll do well!

Good luck and 30 is just the beginning ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?