How do I approach this

ThePenTThePenT Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently one of 4 Systems/Networking Admins for a faily large insurance company. I have worked my way up in 2.5 years to a Senior position and am relied on for more mission critical work than 2 of the other admins that have been here for 6 and 28 years. I am hoping to have completed my MCSE:S:M and CCNA by April of next year. I already have my MCSA,A+,Net+,Sec+. I currently make 46K, not shabby for my age but I hope to not only take most Admin responsibility but fall into a Management role. Along with the IT certs, I will be doing a project managment course and cert to hopefully escalate my marketability. I learn more and more daily but dont have supreme confidence to manage a full-scale network by myself. I thankfully have been blessed with by far one of the most IT knowledgable co-workers anyone could ask for

With that being said. Once I complete said objectives above how much of a raise should I request. I live in an averaged income town, nothing big city. My work is competitve as I am guranteed a 7% raise/year. In addition I have full benefits(health,401k, reitrement). Along with this figure, should I approach upper management also in a I can get better elsewhere mentality? icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Your increased knowledge is great, but does it directly benefit the company? If so, ask for more. Worst case, ask them to pay for the costs and paid study time.

To peg a numer? I generally shoot for a 20% a year raise when I am generating income for the company. You would not be in that position but you could still try. At some point you will cost more than you are worth to them. Time to move to the big show.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • ThePenTThePenT Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well i know they are willing to throw big $$ around for quality IT work. My co-worker who knows everything and anything makes $130k. I am nowhere near his knowledge but obtain something new working with him everyday. I was going to shoot for the 70k range. Nothing too ridiculous but figured this number to be negotiable when knowing Id be satisfied with 60-65.