Options

10 Crimes of Work Fashion

2»

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Plantwiz wrote:
    ms_visio wrote:
    3. The Crime: Shorts or too-short skirts.
    Showing too much leg is never a good professional move -- for women or men. Revealing a little leg makes men appear overly casual or sloppy, and makes women look more sexy than serious.

Redemption: Men should stick with long pants, and women should wear shorts or skirts that hit within an inch-and-a-half of the knee.

humpf....no ulti-kilt for the men icon_sad.gif
    j/k

Regarding the cleavage comments, aren't there men here who find that inappropriate for the workplace? Almost shameful to think that even the married guys seriously think it's ok. Doesn't that lessen your view of the women? Or if she's hot you'd pay her regardless of her skills?

(just curious...not judging 'cause I'm not offended one way or the other nor do I care of guys have pinups in their cubicles or places where clients do not go).

I don't think its professional. Not that I don't like it, but its something better left for your off time if it is what you choose to wear. Might as well leave something to the imagination!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Being suited and booted for work should be compulsory in all office areas. But that list go's too far. You should wear what is comfortable for you and I have never/never will judge a persons professionalism based on their appearences. Period.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Pash wrote:
    Being suited and booted for work should be compulsory in all office areas. But that list go's too far. You should wear what is comfortable for you and I have never/never will judge a persons professionalism based on their appearences. Period.

Well that's fine but... If you hire an Admin that likes to wear a T-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops, do you really want him working with the end users like that? Or how about your vendors? Can you imagine getting audited and would be like, "Yeah, thats our Admin over there with the socks and flip-flops". They wouldn't take you OR your Admin seriously in any event. What if your Admin were to implement a $30k project, do you think your higher ups would take him seriously so that he could actually do it?
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:

humpf....no ulti-kilt for the men icon_sad.gif
    j/k

that can be arranged icon_wink.gif

Plantwiz wrote:
    Regarding the cleavage comments, aren't there men here who find that inappropriate for the workplace? Almost shameful to think that even the married guys seriously think it's ok. Doesn't that lessen your view of the women? Or if she's hot you'd pay her regardless of her skills?

(just curious...not judging 'cause I'm not offended one way or the other nor do I care of guys have pinups in their cubicles or places where clients do not go).

Sometimes it bothers me because I see them using it as some sort of advantage more than anything. It almost seems as they are trying too hard. I dont know though.

I think if your hiring philosophy is heavily weighted on how 'hot' someone is, then your company wont last long (at least small/medium sized business). If you have a bunch of hot-dumb people running around, your business is going under FAST (Disclaimer: not ALL people who are hot are dumb or vice versa). Attitude/work ethic/knowlege of position etc are features I look out for.

In general, I hate to dress up. Im a T-Shirt and jeans kinda guy. If it were up to me, Id say wear what you want. However, image means a lot in business. The fact that its mandatory ties for all supervisors and up leaves a lasting impression in our industry. Especially when your competition shows up to the same events in flp-flops and shorts. My wife and I both work in 'corporate' environments. She doesnt wear any of that skimpy stuff, and she is doing quite well at work.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    paintb4707 wrote:
    Pash wrote:

Well that's fine but... If you hire an Admin that likes to wear a T-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops, do you really want him working with the end users like that? Or how about your vendors? Can you imagine getting audited and would be like, "Yeah, thats our Admin over there with the socks and flip-flops". They wouldn't take you OR your Admin seriously in any event. What if your Admin were to implement a $30k project, do you think your higher ups would take him seriously so that he could actually do it?

Like I said and as you quoted from me, being suited and booted should be compulsory. I didn't say people should dress scruffy. But that list suggests you should follow ridicoulous guidelines. My question is, where does it stop? Dress smartly but make sure you are comfortable, after all we spend most of our time at work, we should at least be comfortable.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.