Options

Upgrading to 292/296

Finally, after 2 weeks of thinking what to take up next after passing my server+....I am already planning to upgrade my MCSA/E cert to 2003 since I found out that I can't get hold of ISA 2000 installation, I will just study on ISA Server 2004 later for the sec specialization. Now, I think it's time to upgrade my cert, then unto other 2003 studies. I bought MSPress but this release is 2004...is it still okay or is there a new book from MSPress already... I have my workshop books from MOC also...

Comments

• Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm working on my upgrade, too. One chapter per day on the MS press. However it is a bloody thick study guide. I need to double up my process. U know..

Study hard... let pass this exam in one shot...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    yeah one hell of a huge study book the ms one, only just finished reading it now i need to go back through the area's that im not so good on while i go through the sybex book. icon_lol.gif
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • Options
    I find the MS press book is easy to understand, but I feel they are missing something.
  • Options
    How much information is on the exam regarding user account properties, ds command line, audit policy and Group policy..?
  • Options
    I'm reading this MS Press book. It is more like a theory than hand-on type of study guide. A lot of unnecessary or redundent materials... I want to see more graphic, then just procedures 1 to 15....

What other study guide do u guy recommend for graphic look or with more detail on how to do it. Not just talking...!

Thanks
  • Options
    to be honest i found the MS one pritty good for hands on labs, after each section they give labs to do on your own set up so you can have the hands on experience, also the sybex books are good for this too
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    Other than the Labs. I just feel that there are not enough information when I read the review.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kasor wrote:
    Other than the Labs. I just feel that there are not enough information when I read the review.

Supplement it with the Exam Cram. I'm skimming it now and it seems okay.

The MSPress book is huge, and covers both the 292 and 296. I think about 11 chapters apply to the 292.

I also have the Syngress book for 292, I've only read the first chapter. It comes with a DVD. I watched part of 2 videos so far, one was very lame, the other (DNS) was pretty good but I noticed an error in one of the slides on the video. So the verdict is still out on Syngress.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    As i read more of the Sybex book I've notice that it hasn't got half as much information on subjects as the Microsoft one has, for example there is barely anything on SUS where as in the Microsoft one there is quite a bit same goes for using ASR etc, goes to show especially for this exam you need more than one source of study.

for the people that will be taking the upgrade exam, anybody booked there's in yet? I only have a month left and I'm not sure if I'm dreading it or anticipating it lol
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    jfmcaninchjfmcaninch Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have my 292 booked in 4 weeks as well. I am trying to write the 292 and 296 by June 30th for the 40% discount on the upgrade to Longhorn. Failing this, to finish as soon as possible this year.

So far, I like the design of the MS 292/296 book. Much improved over NT4 and 2000. The type font, pratice exams and lab layout is a welcome change.

I am just wondering at this point, if I should read the whole book, do the labs with as much hands-on as possible and then write the 292 and 296 at the same time (few days apart of course). Or should I just study for the 292, write the exam, then study and write for the 296. I suppose 292 overlaps in content on the 296 as well?

Thanks for your input!
    Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure
  • Options
    There is not much oon the concept, but many additional change on the specification is killing me. So many thing to remember, but I doubt it will that I will recommend all. Yeah.. the MS is long and huge. I'm only up to Chapter 9. I thought that I can read one chapter per day, but it is impossible when you are working in the same time.

Definitly, we need to look for extra references for this exam. Back to study with my coffee.