Options

HOW DO PEOPLE STUDY!?!?

I'm beginning to think my methods of studying for exams are inefficient. I usually get the most comprehensive book associated with the material, then take notes on the entire book then review the notes. Then once i memorized the notes, read one more book.

Problem is, taking notes on an entire book takes FOREVER!! How do other people start studying material they are 100% new to?
BS - Computer Science
MS - Computer Information Systems

Comments

• Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    Reading and memorizing = swatting >> hence you easily forget the information.

i basically read to understand the concepts of the material and then practically apply tht knowledge.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I make sure I know the objectives. Not just know them, but also how they could relate to an on-the-job task, versus in just a "practice" environment. I won't advance to the next chapter, until I understand what I previously read. I also like to use more than one source, to get a different aspect on things. I only take notes on something if I don't fully understand it. Final review is done once I feel comfortable with what I've just done, if not, keep reading and practicing.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I study the way you are describing and I feel like that way is totally inefficient and takes too long but I am unsure of how to do it otherwise. This is how I am studying for the 70-270:
    I break down everything into the domains and then further into the domain objectives. Then I read and take notes and make flashcards, watch cbts, etc. and then practice until i learn each objective in the domain and then take a few practice tests before i move on to the next domain.

The problem is is that some domains and objectives take longer than others and it seems like it takes forever to go thru each test like Johnny says. I dont know of any other way but I am hoping that you guys have some good pointers or do it a more efficient way so I can get this test over and done with. icon_lol.gif

Thanks
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    I do it the same way, and even though it's time consuming, it's been very effective for me. I've spent the last 5 weeks going through the Sybex 70-270 book and just finished my notes last night. Now I can stop dragging the thick, heavy book around and just concentrate on the notes, which are just pure facts, without all the filler. This method got me through college and has been very successful in preparing me for my certification tests as well.
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    without sounding like a salesman

for 70-290...

got a single pc

asked MS for a 180 version of r2 2003 server

installed it

went through every CBTnuggets video - 25 in all I think
    do every single part of every single video. scout the parts the are just off the subject. learn it. break it. fix it again. make sure you know the concept of what each video means. Come on this www ( their very freindly and helpfull ) or the technet site if you need further clarification. Make it work on your system the way it works on the videos. If it doesnt then get the experience doing it til it does ( for instance with raid5 actually get 3 disks and see it working - never just the theory ). Do that section till you have learnt everything you can in that area then and only then move on. The more you do the more you find things start to connect and make sense.

Any extra bits that are not on the videos but seem connected or get mentioned alot or your just curious about, again try to do them on your server or scout extra info from technet/here or google. theres ussually something or someone that can help you or point you in the right direction. makes a list of them and tick them off after once you know each item.

I used terminal services sessions to be the equivilent of my client pc.

Then get a set of review questions - examforce is nice and gives you a grading scale.

Unfortunatley I had a very short attention span reading books so videos and hands on work great for me.

Thats my way - Hope it helps you.
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    but another problem I have is the practice tests...

I am already a bad test taker and then this is my first experience with the MS tests and some questions make you bug eyed icon_eek.gif

but these questions are long and ambiguous and make you think you dont know what you are doing even though I can do it in practice all day long.

guess i have to practice the practice questions
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ricka182 wrote:
    I make sure I know the objectives.

Im in shcool so that helps alot first off. On the weekend i read ahead ( as much as possible). On the weekend i also do practice questions for the sections i feel i understand throughly. Then before school i read through the book with my trusty highlighter and pen. Read online articles, blogs, free stuff thats related (in my spare time).
    Do trancenders,certquest, etc.....(weekends after class?)
    Also while studying i do the following
    -Make notes
    -Make questions (for my instructer)
    -Make a weak areas sheet
    -Try downloadable tools
    -Write down best practices
    -Study sheets ( printed or written)
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!!
    YoungFred.jpg
  • Options
    boatguy1982boatguy1982 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I read everything websites, books, articles. I try to immerse myself in the subject. Does this work I'm not sure I have yet to take an exam. I also am going to watch the videos i bought and setup a virtual pc for me to study on.

Hopefully, I will have my MCSE by summer.

-Phil
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Sounds like you're concerned most about the time factor.
    Understandable. For each test, I always look for a better way to study.
    Haven't found it yet.
    If you have a method that works in terms of understanding & using the information, that's what you should stick with. It's a lot of info. It will take a lot of time to absorb it all.
    If anyone says they have a quick and easy way, they're crazy (or cheaters).
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I tend to start with an overview, especially when it's a brand new subject. I try to go through something like CBT Nuggets, or find a book to read through, cover to cover. After that, I go over the objectives on the vendor site, get an idea of how I want to break down my studying. After that, I like to get a thorough go-through, I've been using TestOut with a lot of success, actually. I go through that same book again, focusing on areas that I'm weak on, or things I think I don't quite have down. Through this process, I make every effort to set up a lab or do some extra projects at work, so I can apply some of the things I've learned. It's important to get the hands-on perspective when you're reading about these things, helps reinforce the "blank" knowledge the books and the courses give you with real experience.

After that, I review, review, review. I look over the books, take practice exams, re-watch the CBT Nuggets, whatever it takes. I also like to spend the last few days before the test is scheduled, going over the technotes on this site (and a few others) in an effort to get some other perspectives on the subjects. I've also found it very helpful to not just study the certification material, but also get myself some books or other training material that focuses on specific things that happen to be on the test. (i.e. if I'm studying for an MCSE exam, I'll go pick up an O'Reilly book on Active Directory or the MS Press "Group Policy Guide". Helps you see things that are 'outside the box', so to speak. Usually more than just what's on the exam.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    How do people study.

Study is fun , id you know how to do it.Study , doesen't mean just reading many many book's , and just memorize and then practice.Study mean , reading one line and understand the point.

Study means having a pen and a paper in one hand , and the keyboard in another .Browsing Google and wikipedia when you cannot understand a concept or just ask here or else , if you have time to wait for an answer.
    Then practice , reading , understanding , searching .. geting it.

This is one study tip. ( Not a tip , just a fact ). icon_eek.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I really want to make sure I have attained knowledge I just read multiple sources, as many times as it takes for me to see everything as being easy. For me things start out as really tough to learn(notice I didnt' say memorize) then after a while something clicks and I just know it. If you have to stop and think about it then you probably don't Know the subject.

I guess I don't have any real study tips, I just read and go over stuff until I'm finishing the sentence of the book in my head like 'yeah ok this is easy what's next.' Kinda like how much I sucked at typing when I first got a computer, now I just know how to type hehe, don't even gotta think twice about it. bad example, yes. pointless? probably. icon_idea.gif

ps: johnny why in the world is that guy from the nanny or whatever show that is your avatar. that's just weird.
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    With their eyes i guess.

Just trying to be funny coz the weather sucks here.

It all comes down to motivation which is what i lack currently despite having all the materials and covering everything for a certain exam, my battery has run flat. Think of it as a sort of hard disk crash.
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hope you made a backup
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    hope you made a backup

icon_lol.gif Ofcourse not. No one makes them untill after the crash. I know for a fact that i luv Cisco so i'm reading netlab's CCNP curriculum and doing the labs hoping to pick up shrapnells of motivation hera and there and probably recover some of the lost data. This will happen to you when you mix job search, studies, petty helpdesk errands, other studies apart from IT and life issues all in one basket and wash it all down with bouts of heavy drinking to cover up for sleeping pills. Not that serious, i'm exagerating a bit. icon_wink.gif
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    vviivvii Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here are the steps for me before I take an cert exam:

1) CBT Nuggets Video
    2) Read the Press book
    3) Make notes out of it
    4) Get some hand on experiences
    5) Practice with Virtual Lab (optional)
    6) Read the notes again before heading to the exam

It seems to be working for me.
    Obtained: A+, MCSE03, CCNA & CCNP

Coming Soon: Juniper ...
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    vvii wrote:
    Here are the steps for me before I take an cert exam:

1) CBT Nuggets Video
    2) Read the Press book
    3) Make notes out of it
    4) Get some hand on experiences
    5) Practice with Virtual Lab (optional)
    6) Read the notes again before heading to the exam

It seems to be working for me.

i follow about the same stream..

1. nuggets
    2. knet and/or learnkey
    3. book
    4. labs
    5. review
    6. practice tests
    7.review book and cbts
    8. test some more
    9. review again

seems kinda long but it goes pretty quick

nuggets can take anywhere from a couple of days to more than a week
    knet/learnkey can near the same time as nuggets
    book you will almost fly through after the cbts (maybe that may just be me)
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    BF2MadBF2Mad Member Posts: 171
    I normally use CBT Nuggets and after each one I do some extra reading and some hands on stuff around the subject.

When I am done with the nuggets I start on the practice exams reviewing my answers and reading up on any questions I am not 100% on.