Options

What do you guys think of this job description?

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
I found this on craigslist, send the company my resume and an HR woman wants to talk to me about this position. I looked them up and it sounds like they are a phone/ISP company in the chicago area. In your opinions, does this sound like a decent position or is it going to be a crappy phone jobby.

I want to get IT experience but I don't want to leave my job now for the wrong position.
At Globalcom, you’ll get a chance to jump into a technical career. We need people for Internet Technical Support to assist our customers. We believe that these positions are best filled by people who like computers and technology and who learn quickly--People who can think, talk, listen, read and learn. Previous work experience in Internet and computing is not required.

We screen candidates with a test. If you have an hour, you can take our
Test. Many of the things we'll ask you about you will have
already learned because of your general interest in computers,
technology and the Internet. The rest you'll know if you read two books
-- one on the Internet and IP, and one on DNS. If you do well on the test, we'll Interview you, as you'll be a good candidate for our technical support group.

We're located downtown in the AON Center, right on Millennium Park. We are conveniently placed for people who take the CTA trains or the Metra Electric line, and there are shuttle buses to the various downtown Metra stations, which bring you right to our door. It's a convenient and pleasant place to work.

Qualifications
Computer science with strong verbal and interpersonal skills or
Humanities graduates with a strong interest in computers. If you'd like to get into networking and a technical job with a career path, please contact us. This is regular, full-time position with benefits.

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a crappy phone job.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    I just wonder if I should even bother calling/ "taking the test"
  • Options
    ukeuke Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like a place willing to employ people who are just starting out in the IT field. It may be a crappy phone job, but it would be a good first "foot in the door" job that one can build on from there. I say if the pay is decent, give it a shot.

Not all of us were able to land our first job as an MCSE making $60K+ a year, some of us had to learn to work our way up icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    Globalcom... doesnt that sound like its out of a cheap horror movie or something.

icon_twisted.gif
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • Options
    boatguy1982boatguy1982 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is that a job in chicago? If so send me the link icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    Globalcom is Internet Service Provider but they also do managed security and other managed services. If you are willing to start out with a small, cheap phone support job in which you probably going to answer calls and help residential users to connect to the internet this seems to be a good entry level job.....
    As I said per their website they do have managed care. I would assume its a good place to get some experience if they really offer what they are promising....Go for the interview and check out the company and ask them about moving up in the company.....

Hope this helps...

determinedgerman