Options

Salary Survey by NACE

SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
Found this on CNN -

http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/27/pf/college/lucrative_degree/index.htm?cnn=yes

According to NACE, the average salary for a holder of an Information Science/systems degree has an average salary of $47,000. I think these results are a little skewed or they define "entry" level as something different b/c most ppl I know out of college are stuck in Help desk or support jobs, except for the lucky few.

Comments

• Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    I think those survey's are very skewed. You have to also remember that the average is for the whole country. So where 47,000 would be good for my area - 47,000 would get you much lower in - let’s say - New York City.

Quickly looking at a salary relocator website shows that someone making $47,000 in Staten Is, NY is equal to someone making $31,000 where I live. Not that great of a salary anymore.

So unless the surveys are for your region, I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I would say 47,000 for someone with a bachelor's degree in I.T. is an average for when they first graduate. When I graduated with my MIS degree, I was only one of VERY few who actually went towards the networking/systems/support road which require certifications mostly. Many other graduates go towards the corporate programming jobs like COBOL, web design, C#, Visual Basic, etc. that pays good money and allows advancement up the management ranks. Many who graduate from 4 year universities go into jobs like that and not help desk support. Many choose to take a different road like myself because either we don't like programming, or we like the networking stuff more. That is why we go for the certifications...most 4 year universities don't teach the hardcore networking (MCSE, Cisco, Novell, etc.), they teach all of the math and hardcore programming/coding languages, ehich make up most of the I.T. industry.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    hiepdnghiepdng Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Linux admin is my first job, and I have been working for some years. I intend to change company to get higher salary. $47,000 really upsets me icon_sad.gif . I don't know If I should change a job or not.
    Hiep