Options

Question about the New Cisco Exam, Thanx in advance!

Dusty0463Dusty0463 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Okay, I went through the classes(not Cisco Academy) last year at my local college in Colorado Springs and recently moved to Sacramento. Unfortunately I didn't have time to take the Cisco exam in Sacramento, and now I hear that the exam has changed!!!

I've studied the Sybex book by Lammle and I also have the Virtual Lab and Trancender. My question is, since the exam changed(which I'm very livid about), what other supplemental books do I need to buy that will get me through the exam? Once I heard that they changed the exam, I almost wanted to throw my arms up in the air and give up since I spent so much time studying the previous stuff.

I realize that I have until September 30th, but I still won't be ready. Sure I could do a brain **** and probably get buy, but I'd rather learn the material....

Thanx
Dusty

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The last possible day to register is Sep 30th, you can schedule it a while ahead... check with your test center or cisco online certification support for more info.

If you really know your stuff for the 'older' CCNA exam, you should be able to pass the new exam as well... you can also try a local book store to check if they have any books for the new exam and read over the parts that are not in your study material. All changes to the CCNA exam that have been made since they 'invented' it, are the removal of some topics (in the past AppleTalk and IPX) and a more in depth focus on certain topics (I've heard the new exam contains more routing protocols and more subnetting...)
  • Options
    Johan,
    thanx a bunch for your reply. I'll call the test cente and see how far in advance I can schedule it...

Dusty
  • Options
    Well, I called prometric and while their offices are now closed, on the recording it did say that you must take a test within one year of registering, so if that's the case, that would be great. I can register for the old Cisco Exam now and then take the exam around November or December, which is when I'll be ready for sure.... I'll call tomorrow and talk to a live person just to verify.

Dusty
  • Options
    Oops, my bad. I just read on another forum that you have 45 days after registering to take the 640-607 Cisco exam, not a year like I previously posted. I imagine the year is for all of the other tests. Needless to say, 45 days is still plenty of time since I've already spent a bunch of time hitting the books already. I just recently purchased the Virtual Lab and that Rocks!! Since I really can't afford to get my hands on any routers at the moment, they say this is the next best thing.....

All the best.
    Dusty
  • Options
    JeetendraJeetendra Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can you provide me the CCNA **** for 640-607 exam

Bye & take care
    Jeetendra
  • Options
    Jeetendra,
    I can't help ya there, I know they exist. I really wouldn't recommend them though. I've heard of people going through them and getting job offers and finding out they couldn't do the job once they got hired because instead of actually LEARNING the material, they memorized everything. I think the only time a brain **** would be good is if you ALREADY KNOW the material and are pressed for time and need to get your certification ASAP. However for me, I'm very interested in networking even though I don't have the experience, so learning through brain **** would be foolish on my part. If I took the test now I may just barely squeak by, but I don't want to squeak by, I want to pass it comfortably and know whatever I possibly can. A good friend of mine who passed and didn't have ANY prior networking experience or knowledge other than the basics recommened the following books.

#1 Cisco CCNA Self study Guide by Anthony Chiarella. (some say that this is the only book you'll need to pass, but I'm skeptical of that). Although I must say that it has 100% positive reviews on Amazon.com.
    Here is the link
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0766854485/002-1339939-1538464?v=glance&s=books

#2 Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammle

#3 Virtual Lab, also by Sybex.

Anyway, he passed with a very high score by mastering all 3 of those 3 resources and about 2 to 3 months of hard core studying and he's not even that smart!(I hope he's not reading this) :). I'm sure there will be another list coming out for the new test, but they hardly have any books on the new exam yet.....

Dusty