Options

Social Networking

Unfortunately its not always what you know, but more importantly who you know. I live in somewhat of a small town 50,000 or so people and find it difficult to make contacts with other IT personnel that could be beneficial. How have some of the other members of this forum made themselves known and bettered their chances through social networking?

I guess im basically asking for ideas on how to meet other like minded IT people within the industry with the hopes of it leading to the possiblity of a better job.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    I'm on linkedin.com. Nearly seven million technical, scientific, and management professionals on there. Lots of real interesting job offers and head hunters too. PM me with your email address and I'll send you an invite.

www.linkedin.com
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    Hey jdmurray, thanks for your suggestion regarding linked.com....I created my account and I think it will be benificial for me on looking for another job and contacting old friends and peers
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    I'm also on LinkedIn. I know people who's got several job offers because of their profile icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    boatguy1982boatguy1982 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys im on linkedin.com also if i give you my profile can you take a look at it and let me know what you guys think?
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Linked.com is like classmates.com; with the added bitterness of AOL when trying to delete your account.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I just joined.

I'm really only concerned with building a social network of other people in my area, yet I'm having trouble.

When I search for anyone in my zip code, or surrounding zip codes, I get 0 matches even though I leave every field open. Yet I can search for users at a college which is 2 minutes from my house, and I get a whole list of users...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    /usr wrote:
    When I search for anyone in my zip code, or surrounding zip codes, I get 0 matches even though I leave every field open. Yet I can search for users at a college which is 2 minutes from my house, and I get a whole list of users...
    I've never tried searching by ZIP code. Maybe it's only possible when paying for the service. Send their tech support and email and ask.
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    I use LinkedIn to look consultants etc. up and to connect with persons I know. I don't use it to "cold-call" new people. I guess I want my network to know me and vouch for me.