Options

How do you know the Interview went well?

ITNYCITNYC Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
As usual, If an Interview doesnt go well.. You probably will hear something along the lines of..."We're still looking at some resumes" or "We will call you" but why do interviewers tell you that they liked you and thought you would be good for the job and you never get called back? Ive had it done twice to me, in cases where the interviewer told me how much they liked my personality and attitude towards the job opportunity but i did not get called back. I just dont understand, If you didnt like me and thought i was not a good fit for the position, dont tell me i am,.. Kinda misleading really.. But i guess thats how it works? they dont want to let you down face to face?... I did have one phone interview with an IT Manager in Jersey and told me, that what i was saying to him, was music to his ears lol.. but seriously i dont understand.. Maybe... Im doing something wrong? What is everyone elses experience with this issue? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    They may have interviewed someone before you who they liked better or maybe after sitting down and discussing other candidates they decided to go with someone else. Or maybe they're just like a lot of them (had one tell me he was going to recommend me to the committee and then never called me, when I called him he e-mailed me back saying, "we decided to go with someone else") and just say nice things to get you out of there and then are too cowardly (or busy) to call back.
  • Options
    jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    ITNYC

What you experience is exactly what happening to me right now, It also up to the point that they called my reference after the interview when I learned that I already got the feeling of getting the job but after a while it was already filled up. Now all your hopes are gone...I just take it as a challenged and think that if it were not meant for me not for me and try to apply for another one. I also tried to think about the interview if i did something wrong and try not to make the same mistake again.
  • Options
    ITNYCITNYC Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ITNYC

What you experience is exactly what happening to me right now, It also up to the point that they called my reference after the interview when I learned that I already got the feeling of getting the job but after a while it was already filled up. Now all your hopes are gone...I just take it as a challenged and think that if it were not meant for me not for me and try to apply for another one. I also tried to think about the interview if i did something wrong and try not to make the same mistake again.

Yeah i guess thats what you have to do. Its pretty messed up for interviewers to mislead people. Id much rather hear "Im sorry but i dont think this would be a good fit for you. We'll keep your Resume on file though" ......Than...... "I really think you would do well, Your Resume looks good and I really like your attitude, We will give you a call to see if your still interested in the job". The obvious thing to think would be... once an interview is done, move on to other jobs.. keep on looking But if interviewers told me i was not right for the job.. and then i get one interviewer telling me that i seem like the right person.. I would feel much better, where as if every time i herd "You seem like a good fit, we will contact you soon" and get my hopes up.
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Same here - went on two interviews and both looked great. I have called one of them back and still no answer.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Getting the job is a typical sign that the interview went well.
  • Options
    RavenSpawnRavenSpawn Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Same here. Had interviews for 2 companies. First company, I'm assuming first interview went went that he said they would set up a 2nd interview with the director. After the 2nd interview, which both went well in my opinion and the guy saying similar things (you would be a good fit for the job etc.), said he's waiting to hear back from my references and also meet with the dept managers to discuss all the candidates. I called the guy back since he had asked me to give my references a call to make sure they would call him back, don't ask me why, I did anyway. The following week I gave him a call back to see if he was still waiting to hear back and said that they went with someone else, even though he I would've been a good fit for the job. Second company, was looking for 2 network support technicians, 1 for day shift, other for night shift. Interview well well, again in my opinion, and said that my preference would be the day shift since I have a family but would not be opposed to the night shift either. After seeing that the 2nd company posted a position for the night shift, I went back the company to drop off the background check that they requested and again mentioned to the manager that I am still interested in the night shift. He said he was glad that I had dropped off the background check and that he had some more interviews to go through for the night shift. I later found out from someone who works there that the night shift had been filled as well. I never received a call to say that they went with someone else.

I too wished they would tell me then and there if I don't have a chance instead of being nice so that you get your hopes up and later find out that you didn't get the job. I agree that sometimes, if you happen to be one of the first to be interviewed in a group of candidates, you may look like a top candidate of your interview but the others may be even better than you. I would think they all say nice things, unless you are totally not fit for the job, in order to keep things consistent and to possibly protect themselves. I would think that if they say only suitable candidates will be contacted for interviews, they should give the respect of calling all the other candidates to tell them they didn't get the job. Last place I was working for, everyone that applied for internal postings were told if they didn't get the job.

Sorry for the long rant.
  • Options
    Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After my last interview view before leaving we shock hands, I thanked him for his time and he said something along the lines of “I will *hopefully* be seeing you in the future” This was my sign that it went well, other than that it was hard to say, but I did get the job and am currently working.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i really don't care.. i just don't... i go into the interview being me and i leave the same way. most of the gigs i have gotten have been over the phone and i still get referrals from the companys
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The thing that really gets on my nerves is when they say they will get back to you by a certain day.

For instance I did a interview and they said we will let you know Friday. Now it is Wednesday of the following week and still nothing. If they went with someone else just let me know - to many people are either lazy or just cowards to call back and say that.
  • Options
    WorktruckWorktruck Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I try to take it as nothing personal if they don't call me or get a hold of me now. At first it really did get to me if I didn't hear anything back especially when they gave me the spill that was like right now you are one of the top 2 candidates for this position, and expect to hear something by such and such date.

The way I look at it is the people giving the interview have their priorities, and telling a person that they are probably not going to see ever again that they didn't get the job isn't very high on the list of things to do. It really does become your responsibility to follow up on these things. I'm not saying its right, but it's just how things are.

I have to say I've found that having an interview go well isn't enough a lot of times. I try to send out thank you letters for the interviews that really interest me. I tend to get a lot more callbacks and offers with this approach.

Actually I'll tell you something worse than the no callback the hey you remember the interview we had with you 6 month back well we went with someone else letter or email.