Options

My first "medium" sized network!

Hey everyone,

some of you may remember me talking about this contract job that I got. It's for a financial company and their network. They needed to replace their NT 4 server which was just way too overloaded. P3 700Mhz, 512mb of ram and it ran Exchange, Fax, VPN, IIS, File & Print, WINS, DHCP....

Basically, what I did was help them move into their new office, and configure their new server in the new place. They bought a dell poweredge server, with dual xeon, 1gb ram, with Windows 2003 SBS and I configured DNS, DHCP, VPN, Fax, File & Print, and replaced their domain controller to AD.

I suggested for them to move their email and web services to a remote server, which they agreed and is in the process of searching for a host.

It's not really a 'big' company, they have 7 computers in the office, but up to about 90 mobile users on their laptops.

I guess after 2 years of freelance computer work, I finally got a chance to setup a network by myself. I have helped others configure things before, but this time was just me.

I took some pictures if anyone is interested:
http://www.dg-network.com/misc/work/

I guess I feel alot better about my 290, and 291 after this experience....hoping.... icon_rolleyes.gif
Jack of all trades, master of none

Comments

• Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks solid - great job.

One thing that might impress them is management of the wires. Neaten them up a bit - other than that - hope this turns into a full time gig for you.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Uh, and dont wrap network cables in knots...

Buy some velcro straps. :)

May want to raise the server and UPS off the ground incase of water leak...

Keep up the good work.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    Plan the wiring ahead of time.... Think this...

cables.jpg

Not This .....

Rack_wiring_on_back_700.jpg
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Good job!! Not many can actual implement a little infrastructure like that...let alone install and configure the different types of servers icon_lol.gif . Many just maintain, but never implemented. Great experience.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Trailerisf wrote:
    Uh, and dont wrap network cables in knots...
    Buy some velcro straps. :)

May want to raise the server and UPS off the ground incase of water leak...

Keep up the good work.

I am going back to install another computer on the network for them, I'll be sure to fix those. Thanks
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Trailerisf wrote:
    Plan the wiring ahead of time.... Think this...

cables.jpg

Yeah...wiring and cabling was a little harder for me, because the boss didnt buy any new cables, he just told me to use the old patch cables he had from the old place. I had to sort of "play with what I got"

btw, That is some amazing cable management....
  • Options
    Wiring in that room is the first thing someone will see. Believe it or not, some computer illiterate will assume the job is awesome if the wiring is neat... Network may not work but it looks pretty :)

Also shows that you are a professional.

To lift the components off the ground? Even a 2 X 4 is acceptable.
  • Options
    JLLJLL Inactive Imported Users Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the job! There is nothing better than hands-on experience. I agree with all of the previous suggestions and would like to add one; secure that powerstrip.

JLuna