Options

Hard drives won't show up

evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
My co-worker just told me about some drives that he brough back from a client site that he needs to access. Apparently, vital data was copied from the system onto two drives which were each configured on a Compaq SmartArray 6400 controller card as RAID 0 separately so essentially they were configured without RAID. The drives were transported back to Cleveland for analysis but the drives show up in Windows as not being formatted. We see a logical drive on each of them. The data is extremely important and it would cost us a huge client if we cannot get the data off but I have encountered this before and was unable to recover the partition. Can you think of anything that I could do to obtain the data off these drives?

I accessed the drives on two separate machines using both an onboard Compaq SmartArray 5i controller and an Adaptec controller but Windows always sees the drives as not being formatted. I can provide you with more information if you need it such as model numbers of drives and such. Hope you can help. Thanks.
"You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What do you mean they were configured as Raid 0 separately? To me that means the drives were striped together rather tham mirrored (which means these people are really stupid for copying important data there). The striping was hardware raid (in the Compaq SmartArray itself) or within Windows. If it's hardware raid, all you should have to do is put the drives in the same order on your RAID card, create a Raid 0 array without initializing the drives. If it was Windows software raid you might be SOL. I'm not sure.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I take back the part about creating a volume with the disks on your Raid controller. I missed that you have a different model card so who know if that would work. Maybe someone here has some experiendce with some recovery software.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    I don't know if it would work in this situation but I have used knoppix before to boot off of and then see the drives and get the data off. I have only dealt with it two times before so I don't know if it will work in this situation but it worked when you couldnt boot into windows for me.

Jon