Options

Changes to Vista licensing

royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/10/26/Microsoft_clarifies_Vista_activation_to_bit-tech/

In short, 10 activations now. Activations not triggered unless you change hard drive AND one major component. This allows enthusiasts to constantly swap out cpus, memory, etc... Making an image that's already activated also helps.
“For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks

Comments

• Options
    endersftdendersftd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank goodness! Although I hate the annoyances that activation causes, if we must have activation, at least let it be lenient. *phew!*
    "We will rule over all this land, and we will call it...'This Land.'"
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    icroyal wrote:
    Making an image that's already activated also helps.

This was the common workaround since the early XP days. This is also seen with OEM manufacturers.

But this seems to be good news. *waits for Vista*
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    I was at a technet event today. The guy from MS said that volume licensing will require activiation for vista. The activiation will be done at the client site (I am assuming from a license server). He also said that the client is going to be responsible for their own volume licensing - meaning if MS finds your Volume License number on 1000 pirated copies of Vista, they are going to charge you for them. Pretty scary when you think about it, because any of your users could just run belarc and get that number.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.