Options

Determining Permisions.

Is there a good method of determining permissions of a particular folder/file. For instance. This is a question on my practice tests, I am thinking there is a good way to do this than whittling it down

You are trying to determine what level of access a user named Jerry has to a given folder on one of your servers. The user is a member of the Marketing group and the Executives group. The permissions for the folder are configured as follows:
Share Permissions:
Jerry - Full Control (Allow)
Marketing - Read (Allow)
Executives - Change (Allow)
NTFS Permissions (for the folder and all contents of the folder):
Jerry - Read (Allow)
Marketing - Full Control (Allow)
Executives - Full Control (Deny)
What will Jerry's effective permission be to the folder?
Xinxing is the hairy one.

Comments

• Options
    techman-aka-Formattechman-aka-Format Inactive Imported Users Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey pandimus, I think I'll give this one a shot. Now I'm more of a cisco guy, but I'm learning microsoft, and studying for the 2000 pro exam. o.K. here goes. what you need to know is what file permissions jerry has. because file permissions, override folder permissions. If there is no file permissions set, then jerry will not be able to view the contents of that folder. If the file permissions are the same as the folder permissions, then jerry would have read access, and that's it. because the NTFS permissions override the share permissions. right?? remember there is an order. NTFS overrides shares, file perm. override folder and group permissions. but folder permissions override group permissions. but a deny perm. will override everything. webmaster correct me if I'm wrong here. I think I got it though.
    information belongs to the public! hack the planet!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Only a minor correction: NTFS permissions do not necessarily override share permissions. If Jerry connects to a share for which he has read share permissions and full control NTFS permissions he will only have read permissions if he connects to the share.

NTFS permissions are cumulative, except for Deny. Deny overrides everything.
    When NTFS permissions and share permissions are combined, the most restrictive permissions count.
  • Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Ok, i guess what confused me was the deny full control. I was thinking you could deny Full control, but still grant other permissions. But when I click on the other permissions it removes the fully control deny checkmark.

Thank you very mucho.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    This forum topic is great! Permissions make a lot more sense now. I'm studying for 70-210 and 215, and I heard that access was critical to know for both exams.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    It definately is.