Options

Very Very Odd

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Today i was fixing a fault on a PC. When Photoshop was loading up it would hang. I forst logged in as Administrator and ran photoshop, worked fine. I then logged in as the local user "student7", i ran Photoshop and it froze up.

That told me it was a profile issue.

So i logged on as Administrator and opened the Documents and Settings folder but there was no folder called student7, but there was one called student14. inside the student14 folder was all the files for the profile of "student7".

Then i went into Manage and displayed the Users. no user called student14 only student7.

Has anyone seen this

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    ArturasjArturasj Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Profile can be anywhere you like. Check the profile path under user properties. Cfeck this from the computer management or domain controller if it's a domain account.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, the user profile files can be just about anywhere. Which, incidentally, could be what's causing Photoshop to hang. If Photoshop runs into permission issues due to conflicts between student7's folders and the parent folders that have permissions for student14, it would most definately freeze, if not crash the system altogether.

I'd say your best bet is to recreate the student7 user account in order to place the account files in a more standard place, (ie: Documents and Settings,) and copy over the files the user needs. That should solve any permissions conflicts, and you can simply assign the appropriate permissions to the "new" student7 account.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    endersftdendersftd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you must retain both student accounts, I would suggest backing up all the files in each profile to another folder on the c:\ drive. For example, copy any files from the desktop, favorites, My Documents, etc. in Student7's profile to a folder right on the c:\ called Student7 backup, then repeat for Student14. Make sure you do this with an Admin account, and make sure you have windows set to display hidden files. If you don't need to retain any files from these two accounts, you don't have to back them up. (I'm going to suggest not backing up the entire profile so you get a clean new account the first time that user signs on.)

Go to the User Accounts control panel and delete either or both accounts, whichever show up. Go back to the Documents and Settings and delete the folders for Student7 and Student14. Log off.

Log on as Student7 to allow Windows to create a profile for that user. Once you've logged in, log off.

Log on as Student14 to allow Windows to create a profile for that user. Once you've logged in, log off.

(If you don't necessarily need either of these accounts, do not perform this step for that particular account).

Log back on as an administrator and open up the Documents and Settings/Student7 profile, and also your backup you made (if you made one). Copy all the files and folders from your backup to the Documents and Settings/Student7. (Copy the contents of the My Documents backup to the My Documents folder on the new account). Repeat for the other account, if needed.

This should allow both profiles to be recognized correctly by Windows. Verify this by checking the User Accounts control panel again to make sure both Student7 and Student14 appear. Then try Photoshop on those accounts.
    "We will rule over all this land, and we will call it...'This Land.'"
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    the pc is stand alone, there was no local account created for student14, only accounts are administrator and student7, there was no profile for student7, but one for student14 which it was using, does that make sense

lee h
  • Options
    PhilippatosPhilippatos Inactive Imported Users Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keatron said "consider this your first warning". OK, consider my contributions to this site withdrawn then.
  • Options
    grey foxgrey fox Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The only times I have known this to happen is when an account on a stand alone PC has had a name change. So it could be possible that initially an account was created for 'student 14', and sometime down the line it was renamed to 'student 7' for some reason.

IIRC, when an account is renamed, the profile folder in C:\Documents and Settings is not changed because all of the settings are unique to the particular username, as opposed to the screen-name (if that's the right term).
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The user account was renamed from student14 to student7.

Ding Ding Ding!!!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...