Options

Got a job....but.......has nothing to do with CCNA

zero-g-smithzero-g-smith Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok so I am 30 years old and just moved into the IT field. Got my CCNA and working on my A+, zero professional experiance other than a couple small contracts through my uncles real estate office( I set up a few small wireless lans and a windows exchange server).

I just got offered a job at compusa as pc tech for 12 bucks an hour which is not much where I live....Encino CA....but seeing as this would be my first tech job is this a good start or should I hold out? I am also on my 2nd interview with best buy for there Geek squad but Im not sure what they are willing to play.

any advice as to what to do would be great. Is this basically a good move either way or a waste of time?

Comments

• Options
    panikpanik Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What sort of work are you doing now? are the PC tech jobs a step down?
    If they are stay where you are, if not go for them.

Soft skills like managing people and good communications are important, so even if you're not it IT, you might still have a "better" job.

If I was you, I'd look for a job with an IT company like an ISP or with a company that has a large IT department and their own large network, rather than a PC retailer.

If you take the job don't stop looking for one with more networking focus, even if you have to quit after a couple of weeks. it won't be an issue as long as you stay in your next job for a year
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    CompUSA might be a good starting point. I know it's not much money but you can gain a lot of experience with desk side issues, which could definitely help you out once you get a tech support position. If you have your CCNA, try and get a job as a NOC technician somewhere. CCNA is more of the networking side of things so if thats where you wanting to be in your IT career you might want to hold out till you find something of the sort.
  • Options
    well I owned my own company but it had nothing to do with tech and I just sold it off so technically Im unemployed.

I have applied at a couple ISP's but have heard nothing at all. But my resume is pretty sparse as I dont have much tech going on.

I suppose this is a good move for the time being. I will continue my studies and try to work toward my mcsa and keep looking
  • Options
    panikpanik Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would take the job then, but keep actively looking. :)

Hands-on experience is always good.
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    If you can live on the $12 an hour, plan to stay there for a year. I cannot stress how valuable that first year worth of experience is compared with someone just starting out - certs or no certs.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say the CompUSA job is a good starting point. I think most of us started out in some type of helpdesk/desktop support role. Its good experience and will definitely help your customer service skills. I suppose if the Geek Squad were to offer more money, that might be a better option.

Once you have at least a year or two of desktop support, A+ & your CCNA, you'll be alot better off. At least thats what I'm hoping :D
  • Options
    cool thanks for the advice guys. I think I will take it. My girlfriend has a good job so the 12 bucks/hour should be no prob.