Options

computer wont start!!!

matrix101matrix101 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
when trying to start computer only the yellow light comes on not the green and the monitor is black but on... is it in safe mode and how can i even get it to show?????? help[/b]

Comments

• Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    Need to know some more details? Do you hear the fan in the power supply come on? What do you hear? Any beeping or just a dead box. Check your power cable connection, make sure the power switch on the power supply is not clicked off. Is other things working in that power outlet the computer is hooked to? Let me know some more details and maybe I can help you out.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    If the computer is running, but the monitor light is still yellow, the monitor is not receiving a signal. Check your connection to, and reseat the videocard. If you have another monitor, you could also try swapping to isolate the problem.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    boyles23 wrote:
    Need to know some more details? Do you hear the fan in the power supply come on? What do you hear? Any beeping or just a dead box. Check your power cable connection, make sure the power switch on the power supply is not clicked off. Is other things working in that power outlet the computer is hooked to? Let me know some more details and maybe I can help you out.

I agree with Ricka182

As boyles23 mentioned, we need to know more to assist.

1. When did this start? After a storm? After installing software/hardware, etc..
    2. What can you tell us about the PC? On-board video?, AGP/PCI-E? DUAL Cards? etc..
    3. Can you enter your BIOS?
    4. Can you boot into SafeMode?
    5. What have you tried?
    etc...

The more you can tell us, the better the members can help you troubleshoot.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 103
    Suppose it could be difficult to tell us more if he can't get on internet.
    I would look at the monitor/graphics card situation first.
    Try til it hurts then try some more
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    oldtech wrote:
    Suppose it could be difficult to tell us more if he can't get on internet.
    I would look at the monitor/graphics card situation first.

Somehow he managed to make the first post ;) He has access someohow!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    matrix101matrix101 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I checked the power supply and the fan blows and the system fan blows. other than that all i get is a yellow light. also theres no way i can check BIOS when i cant get a screen. the computer is a emachine. crap huh?
    do you think the motherboard maybe fried? because im not getting any beeps or communication to devices(keyboard,mouse,etc.)
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    Before you blame the board, pull any modems, nics and other cards and then try to boot up. If lightening took out a modem or nic then it can cause that also. Start with the simple checks then work your way up. If you are running a video card then pull it and run off onboard and try it. Hope this helps!

Jon
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    matrix101 wrote:
    I checked the power supply and the fan blows and the system fan blows. other than that all i get is a yellow light.
    Are you referring to the LED on the front of the case or monitor?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Did you do anything to the machine prior this malfunction? Add or remove any hardware? Add or remove any software? Update the BIOS or the firmware on any peripheral devices? Move any cables in the case?

It's very possible that a device on the computer or motherboard failed and it's affecting the ability of the system to boot. In this case, the first thing I'd try is disconnecting all unnecessary hardware devices (drives, cards, etc.) and seeing if the video comes back. If not, I'd try swapping in a known good power supply. Hopefully this problem is simply a bad PSU.