Options

types of questions on OS test

gregweb16gregweb16 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm studying for the core OS test and I'm wondering what types of questions everyone thinks might be on the exam in regards to the core system files?

I know that the test might ask a simple question like "What 3 files are required for NT/2000/XP to boot?" or "What is the function of NTBOOTDD.COM?"

But, what about a question like this:

A technician's windows 2000 pro system has 256 MB of RAM. Their users have systems that are identical except that they have 128 MB of RAM. The technician needs to test an application to see if it will provide adequate performance on the users' workstations. What switch can be added to the BOOT.INI file to have the system use only 128 MB of its RAM?

A. /M=128
B. /MAX=128
C. /MAXMEM=128
D. /MEMMAX-128

answer: c

Or a question like this:

In which file can the entry LOGO=1 be changed to LOGO=0 to disable the windows 98 animated logo during the boot process to be able to view the error message as well as the devices that are being loaded?

A. IO.SYS
B. CONFIG.SYS
C. SYSTEM.INI
D. AUTOEXEC.BAT
E. MSDOS.SYS

answer: e

Well anyway I saw both of those questions on a practice test and I thought they were very challenging and not what is described on the objectives. Do you think that the questions in this post are what one might encounter on the OS test or will they be more simple or is there no way of knowing?

Thanks,

Greg

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    gregweb16 wrote:
    Hi,

I'm studying for the core OS test and I'm wondering what types of questions everyone thinks might be on the exam in regards to the core system files?

I know that the test might ask a simple question like "What 3 files are required for NT/2000/XP to boot?" or "What is the function of NTBOOTDD.COM?"

Greg,

Don't get hung up on the questions. If you know the material and understand the concepts covered in the Objectives you will do well.

Visit the CompTIA site and they likely still have their 'sample' available, but as to what you will see on your exam?? No one but you will know this this and once you take your exam you are not permitted to discuss it.

Learn the material, all will be ok :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Ok thanks. Those questions came from a practice test so I'll keep on going through those practice tests to make sure i've covered all the material.

Greg
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    gregweb16 wrote:
    Ok thanks. Those questions came from a practice test so I'll keep on going through those practice tests to make sure i've covered all the material.

Greg

Personally, I'd focus on the objectives and make sure I knew and understood the topics being covered on the exam. When I'm looking for an employee it's more important to the company and our clients that they 'have a clue' and not merely can read a few questions and guess an answer.

Learn the material and don't worry about the practice questions so much. If you choose to use practice exams, it should be the last tool to assess your understanding of the material. Taking exams over and over again, only conditions the candidate for an answer...they don't learn the material (from my experiences). Over the years I've seen far too many 'A+ Certified' applicants who cannot handle live situation, nor clients with professionalism.

Focus on the materail.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    You make a good point. And believe me, I have been focusing on the objectives. You should see my printout of the objectives with all the notes about various topics scribbled all over them lol

That being said, I have found that the practice questions can help solidify material found on the objectives. I got a lot of extra info from the practice tests that I did not see in any of my A+ books or the objectives. I think that for preparing for the A+ exam, the practice questions are a GREAT resource. That being said, for preparing to work in the field, one needs a solid understanding of the objectives and some real experience. Just being able to answer practice questions will not cut it.
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    gregweb16 wrote:
    Do you think that the questions in this post are what one might encounter on the OS test or will they be more simple or is there no way of knowing?
    Greg- While both of those questions deal with things that might be helpful to know, I don't remember any questions on the OS test like that. You need to know that Boot.ini is a required file for NT/2000/XP and that it lists the operating system choices, and that Msdos.sys is a required file to boot Win9x, but that's about it.
  • Options
    zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    not sure if it gets that complicated on the OS test(cause i take mine tomorrow at 10:30), but I remember the second question about msdos.sys being covered in mike meyers fifth edition all in one book. can't say about the first one covering maxmem I haven't finished the book yet