Options

Instructing Network+ and Security+ Exams

justus1justus1 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, I was recently asked to instruct Network+ and Security+ on a part time basis. I was told that the only credential to teach these bootcamps is to be certified in them (not sure if that is true or not). I could use the extra cash but this seems a little too good to be true. Does anyone else out there instruct these courses that could provide some guidance on whether or not I should do this? It is with a credible company, but I have never done anything like this before. Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I thought you had to have the CTT+ to be qualified to teach CompTIA-authorized courses. Then again, I suppose it all depends on where you teach. If you're unsure of how you want to teach these classes, I'd suggest either studying up and taking the CTT+, or going and asking other instructors in your area, (like at colleges and vocational schools,) for some pointers on how they run their classes.

As much as you might not like the prospect of passing up the opportunity, you might want to wait to teach until you have more experience, if you feel like you're not ready for it. It's going to be up to you, in the end, if you want to jump in with both feet or find another path, like becoming an aide for an already established IT class so you can get the experience you need.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Shoot, I have seen instructors teaching Comptia exams that never even held them icon_rolleyes.gif - not difficult when they rode learn from Mike Meyers CDs icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I think you need to ask yourself: can I teach them (well) enough to pass.

If the answer is yes, e.g. you know the material well, and aren't too shy or whatever, have proper course material to teach from, I would seize the opportunity.

A CTT book may be a bit helpful, mostly to get you thinking like an instructor, but I suggest going over all the material, and check if there isn't anything you cannot fully explain. If you have a video camera, turn it on and record yourself while pretending you are in front of a classroom.

Good luck and have fun!