Options

CNAP companion guide books

loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,
I'm in my last week before the exam and I decided to go through Cisco press Intro and ICND books (since that is what cisco recommended training is http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-801.html).
Until now I had been reading CNAP material with the help of google and cisco web page on some topics for which I needed more or different explanations.
What I've noticed is that the CNAP books (CCNA1 and 2 companion guide and respective 3 and 4 one) include a lot more information than cisco press Intro and ICND!. So for every one starting to study CCNA and interested in other books than Sybex or Cisco press Intro and ICND I recommend CNAP material aswell. The only downside I can say the have is that the writing style is by far much more boring than any of the other two...and it also contains more pages icon_confused.gif : Intro and ICND is about 1300 pages the two together, Sybex about 800 (?) and the CNAP books are around 2000 pages all together.

the books are available in any online bookshop, but also if you were ever registered to CNAP you can access the material online.

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The INTRO and ICND guides are self-study guides. There is no certification book that covers 100% of the topics. They are guides, not blueprints, and cover the main exam topics and are supposed to be combined with reading product documentation, whitepapers, taking practice exams, and hands-on practice/experience. If they would include every detail in a certification guide, it would be 2000 pages, and more boring to read ;)
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    loboernesto - were there any significant subjects that CNAP covered that were NOT found in the Cisco Press edition?

I know Lammle's book did not cover DSL, Cable, and NAT (downloadable) - and just wondering if there were any subjects that were skiped.

ICND in 4 days :D
  • Options
    loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't get me wrong... I'm myself reading the certification guide know because it's surely the most appropriate source of information to read in order to tackle the exam.
    What I'm saying is that for that extra bit of information wanted the CNAP material are very good (specially the books which even have "More Information" sections with detailed information on specific topics).

I haven't read the whole of the certification guides yet so I can't tell if there's anything that is missing in them and is covered in the CNAP books. Maybe that DHCP is (apparently) missing in the cert guides but is covered in the CNAP is one (I haven't personally check that so far) and apparently it appeared on the exam no so long ago.

From what I've read so far of the cert guides I can tell some extra bits covered in the CNAP books, maybe not needed for the exam though, some are: a very detailed explanation on networks media. This include copper media, optical media and wireless (from the behavior of the atoms, electricity and copper cable specifications to the electromagnetic, micro and radio-wave spectrum, reflection, refraction and optical fiber testing) and more detail on Ethernet technologies ie: lining code (manchester, MLT-3 and NRZI) and some information in parameters and timing (bit-time, slot-time and other parameters for 10, 100 and gigabit ethernet)

This maybe covered in other chapter of the cert guides but weren't were I was expecting to see them, and I'm not saying they are needed for the exam (It may even be prejudicial to try to memorize this things aswell!!).

Ok, I better get on with the cert guides, I've got quite a lot to read (luckily I understand the concepts already so I won't loose time with that and I can read both books by next monday).

Cheers.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I hate mnemonics..

You had me thinking CNAP was a protocol I had forgotten to study...

Have to get this cert soon before I turn into a wreck.
    Kam.