Options

just two questions for you

kobemkobem Inactive Imported Users Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
first one "segmenting the network" which devices do these?
(i mean hub or repeater does it?)

second one what is segment ?for example related to first one
i know that 1 collision domain is equal 1 segment and also
hubs don't seperate collision domains so for hub and repeater no is the answer

and extra one , routers do segmentation of data packets or not? and this
question is also for switches because of vlans

Comments

• Options
    ok, i read this but can you explain my questions with your words?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    That's exactly what I did, and quite frankly your questions are answered in there:
    www.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/networkcomponents.shtml

Segment usually refers to a physical segment, a collision domain, a part of the network on one side of a bridge, repeater, router, switch, but 'can' also refer to a broadcast domain (and a broadcast domain can overlap exactly with a collision domain). This is probably because segment is not just a network term, but also a plain English word. So a segment is a part or portion of the network. So segmentation can refer to dividing networks into colission or/and broadcast domains. But forget that for a second, just focus on the differences between collision domain and broadcast domains first, and how the devices listed in my TechNotes influence these domains.
    an extra one , routers do segmentation of data packets or not? and this question is also for switches because of vlans
    There's no such thing as segmentation of packets. Fragementation ok, but that's another story. The answer to this question is explained in my Network+ TechNotes in the switches and vlans section. Look carefully at the diagrams.
  • Options
    i asked these questions because things below

look at this

picturefn3.jpg

answer is segmenting network and broadcast containment not segmentation
    of data packets why ?

and another confusing thing is that i know is segment is PDU for
    transport layer so answer is not router for segmentation data packets because of this?
  • Options
    Because of what I wrote in my previous reply and in my TechNotes.
    ok, i read this but can you explain my questions with your words?
    Maybe you read my Media and Topology TechNotes in 5 minutes, but with reading I mean learning... I suggest reading them again and try to understand what is written there rather than trying to understand the answer to a practice question before you understand the basics.

The answer 'segmentation of data packets' is meant to confuse you, and to ensure you only pick the right answers because you understand it, and it seems they are doing a good job. The question is not referring to the encapsulation process in the OSI model. So forget about the question and start learning the basics first.

A router segments a network, I already mentioned that in my previous reply, and it's explained 'and' depicted in my TechNotes. I also mentioned that networks are segmented into broadcast and/or colission domains. In case of a router, as you can read and see in my TechNotes, it segments a network into separate broadcast domains 'and' colission domains (see image below). The answer 'broadcast containment' refers to keeping broadcasts into a segment, and that's what routers do, they do not forward broadcasts from one segment to another (by default...).

bcdomain_router.gif
  • Options
    OK i understand and know the things you said
    but please just reply for my questions , again why is not the
    answer segmentation of data packets?

And on this page please answer my first thread of questions
  • Options
    OK i understand and know the things you said
    but please just reply for my questions , again why is not the
    answer segmentation of data packets?
    icon_scratch.gif I thought I just did that... Are you even reading the replies to your posts?

Which of the following is the correct outcome of 1+1?
    a. 2
    b. segmentation of data packets
    c. 2
    d. 2

b is wrong because it is a bogus answer and because 1+1=2.

Based on these questions and several of your other questions: do you have a CCNA book?
  • Options
    what do you mean with 1+1?
    certainty?

hey man i finished ccna book (sybex) also finished **** for questions
    but i ask here those i am confused with.

as you see i try to understand you but you don't understand me

one more question : we know data encapsulation it is a duration
    from 7 (layer) to 1 on the sender and 1 to 7 on the receiver
    is this wrong ? my question is for example when a host
    sends a data to other host and there are network devices
    between them and for example a switch is between two hosts
    data came to switch so due to "data encapsulation" it started from 7th layer
    and came to 3rd layer and 2nd layer what will switch do? it can't do
    7 to 2 am i right ? so what will be performed?
  • Options
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    You clearly don't understand what has been said here. The answers to your questions have been answered repeatedly. You cannot dictate and demand someone to answer questions if you are failing to read the material and know the basics. They are going out of their way to repeatedly answer the question which is more than I would have attempted to do, but you are refusing to learn and know the basics. Re read the material and the post here if you are still confused. You are in no position to demand answers when the answers are right under your nose. Segmenting packets is an encapsulating procedure of the OSI model. Routers segment networks not packets.
  • Options
    To clarify the xxxxxxxx: the reason why that name in your post is xxx-ed out 'automatically' by our forums, is that those are illegal products that contain the actual exam questions, hence using them is cheating. Though, the definition of cheating is having an unfair advantage... We've been blocking this site for more than 4 years, and Microsoft just recently filed a lawsuit against xxxxxxxxx. It's amazing people still use it as if it's proper study material.

To clarify the 1+1: I meant to indicate the other answers (the '2') were obviously correct, and the wrong answer is just made up and you should forget about the wrong answer and the entire question and just take a couple of steps back, and make sure you understand some essential basics before even looking at practice questions.

I may not understand you, but I perfectly understand your questions, what is confusing you, and what the answers are. And I would have been willing to spend many hours to help you understand those same three things, if you wouldn't have mentioned xxxxxxxxx. And took more than 5 minutes to go over my TechNotes. I'm not offended by the fact someone skims over or even ignores my TechNotes, but you can expect me to refer to them, or previous similar topics, instead of repeating myself, or others. If in such a case you are not interested in reading them, then don't expect me to help you any further.
    data came to switch so due to "data encapsulation" it started from 7th layer and came to 3rd layer and 2nd layer what will switch do? it can't do
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/osimodel.shtml

In case it isn't obvious, select the xxxxxx file on your computer, hold down the Shift key and press Delete.
  • Options
    hey i wrote <<modified form of well know **** to bypass filter>> and it did xxxxxxxxxx
    ok
  • Options
    loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    data came to switch so due to "data encapsulation" it started from 7th layer
    and came to 3rd layer and 2nd layer what will switch do? it can't do

By the time the data comes out a device it has gone through all the encapsulation steps and it's coming out the port in a bit sequence. The switch will reassemble this bits until it gets the information necessary (this will depend on the switching mode, if cut-through was the mode used it would just buffer enough bits so as to work out the destination address and start forwarding the frame out the right port but if store and forward mode is being used the whole frame is received and checked for errors before it is forwarded).

In the most simple of the cases the switch will not touch the frame, it will look at the frame's header (layer 2) and it will do what it has to do depending on the frame's header information (it will forward to the correct port/ports or will discard it depending on the source and destination layer 2 address). If there are vlan configured in the network It may add a vlan-id to the frame so it is forwarded to the right vlan, but you may have noticed all this happens at the layer 1 and 2. Switches don't care about the other layer and the only participate in encapsulation concerning frames (l2pdu), they see anything above layer 2 as simply "data". So encapsulation/deecapsulation only occurs at level 1 and 2 in switches.

A layer 3 device (router) will go one layer higher in the deencapsulation steps, the frame will be stripped so the router can work with the layer 3 information: basically it will look at the ip source and destination address and route the packet out the right interface. It will encapsulate the packet again by adding a frame header and trailer with the new layer 2 addresses (I say new because remember that mac addresses only work at broadcast -domain level, so if the frame is to go to another broadcast-domain the mac addresses have to be changed with the respective ones for the devices communicating in this other segment).

cheers
  • Options
    . Routers segment networks not packets.

but routers route packets and packets are build during data encapsulation
    and packets are pdus for network layer so segmentation
    networks is equal segmentation of packets?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kobem wrote:
    hey i wrote <<modified form of well know **** to bypass filter>> and it did xxxxxxxxxx
    ok
    There are filters on the forum that won't let you you type in the name of ****. **** are used by people who **** on the exams.

icon_wm.gif has a low tolerance for ****.... most threads or discussions about them get deleted.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    i thought something about my question

data comes out of host then for example comes to switch
    here i think data gets the data encapsulation from 7 to 1 and when
    it arrived to switch , it is received as bits then for switch
    it is going up to the second layer for address learning/filtering
    then when it is transmitted from switch to another location
    again it comes down to 1st layer

OK? am i wrong?
  • Options
    loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    uhhmmm, I think I missed a few replies while I was writing my own....
    I've just found out that xxxxxxxx is that bad!!. I have to admit that I've been more than once in their web page when looking for a good practice exam. I never thought their material was actually stolen from the exams icon_confused.gif. I've dedicated myself to learn the concepts and play with the home lab rather than practicing with exam sims though, I hope the exam reflects the knowledge of the person rather than how many times someone goes through **** sheets and stole question icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    i couldn't know xxxxx is illegal sorry for that
  • Options
    steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    I've just found out that xxxxxxxx is that bad!!.

My mama always said that looking at XXX would make you go blind icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    steve-o87 wrote:
    I've just found out that xxxxxxxx is that bad!!.

My mama always said that looking at XXX would make you go blind icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    :D ...she was right
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    icon_wm.gif has a low tolerance for ****.... most threads or discussions about them get deleted.
    icon_mike.gif is right, the only thing we usually keep as a souvenir is the IP. But somehow I doubt xxxxx will make the difference between Kobem passing or not and he didn't recommend or request **** so if anyone else is still interested in answering his questions...

And it's sunny today, well, not really, it's actually raining icon_mike.gif's and dogs here. icon_lol.gif

For those who are not aware yet, I'd usually suggest reading the braindumps article at mcmcse.com, but this topic should do it:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16764
    This company is still doing a lot of damage to the certs most of us work very hard for. Using, suggesting, promoting them is not just a violation of our forums rules, the products itself are a violation of the NDA, several international laws, and an insult to anyone who worked hard and deserved to pass.