BS in Information technology or Certification

tony71tony71 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I have been reading most of your posts and it helps alot, alot of tips I can go by. icon_smile.gif

I do have a question, I have 3 years of experience in installing softwares and hardwares, mostly desktop migration (XP Migration) Had 3 months of help desk experience working for L3 communications but it wasn't what I expected it to be. I'm currently working for CA as a data migration tech, also did some software testing on a software which was created but it wasn't much.

I'm currently going back to school to get my BS in either information security or networking or maybe go for a double major. I was thinking is this is the right way to go or maybe I should get the CCNA cert instead?

Currently I feel like I'm stuck, when I was working at the help desk I was getting 43k but I realized it just wasn't what I wanted to do being on the phone and now the job I do have with CA is mostly data migration and its not exactly what i want to do and the pay sucks.

Oh I'm 35 years old. Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think that in the long-run having a Bachelors will be more beneficial. There are MANY employers that simply will not hire someone unless they have a degree. Granted, there are those that won't hire without a cert, but I would be willing to bet not near as many.

Unfortunately a degree is going to cost you a lot more, but will be very helpful in whatever field you go into, IT or not.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would finish your degree and then worry about certifications. The degree will get you in the door for many different jobs. Then you can concentrate on the certifications which will help you advance your technical expertise for the area of technical background you wish to pursue. Good luck.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    Bsc.. then certifications

it's best to do ur degree before certs, thts the first thing majority of employers look for.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • tony71tony71 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WOW! that was response.

Thanks for the advise, I felt the same way that BS is the way to go since I only need to go another year and half but then at the same time I was thinking maybe it was the wrong move.

One thing for sure this forum does help alot, answers alot of questions.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    A case for "certifications before degree" is when you are planning on attending a university which gives credit for professional certifications that you've obtained. Some schools will allow you to waive classes if you have an MCSE, CCNA (or better), or CISSP. Certifications also add weight when petitioning subject-related classes, as they are generally accepted as accreditation of professional experience. Usually, the certifications must be obtained prior to enrollment, so this is something to consider.
  • RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    Get that degree.... get that degree..... get that degree

Along the way you may very well find your niche then you will want those certs to add to your resume.

Get some more experience

There is more than one way to skin a cat anything you can do to make your self more marketable will make you a better prospect .

But be careful.. there are some people who dont have certs or degree but have experience who WILL see you as a threat

Get in where you fit in

Just my$.02
  • tony71tony71 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Rattlerman,

you are right about getting the degree and along the way finding what IT field I would really want to be in. That is still up in the air, I'm looking more at information security officer.
  • brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm doing it the other way around. I am getting certs trying to get a good enough job to pay for a degree, or have an employer pay for it. I just don't have the money for a degree.
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I agree get your Degree it will open up dors for you that ith some hands on exp and certs will help you quite a bit
  • RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    Make it do what it do baby.

Whatever your path .. enjoy the ride because end users will make you lose your religion and question why the H3LL you got into IT
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    BS in Information technology or Certification

The answer is always "yes".

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Yes, everyone loves a degree. If only it wasn't so bloody hard to obtain it.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh & if you're lucky you're in a job that has tuition reimbursement. It's almost worth it to switch jobs just for that reason.