Options

Time Frame to stick it out

routingbyrumorroutingbyrumor Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi! I just took on a new job however, it is not truly what I want to do in IT. How long should I give it before I quit without leaving a bad mark. I was thinking of telling my boss that I was relocating in 3 months and stick it out. Would this be a good idea?

Comments

• Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    giving em 3 mnoiths notice would look good

but what if you come to like the job

in most new job there are growing pains

what are you doing and what do you want to be doing?
  • Options
    Well the job I just started was a Linux, Windows, OSX tech. I am the only guy in this company handling all the Tech Stuff and its becoming quite a handfull. I am administering Linux mail servers as well as doing tech stuff such as fixing PC's creating images, helpdesk troubleshooting etc. I really want to get into NOC so I could pursue a career of Network Engineering.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Problem is you need experience to get into an NOC

you might be able to find a place willing to take you in as a junior admin if it is a large company but from my experience junior positions are not easy to track down

my advice would be give the job a year get the experience and more certs to back it up then look at the market.

IMO you have a good foot in the door so don't be quick ot let that go

I'm in the same situation as you being the only guy in the IT dept some days are rough but I find it comes in cycles.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Is this your first gig, or have you had previous experience at different jobs? I stayed at my first job for 2 years to show I was dedicated. Most employers are looking for someone who will stick with their company so they are not wasting their time and money on investing in your education and then having you move on to another company. I would say stick the job out atleast a year if you can.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys I guess I'll give it more time and pursue more certs. This is not my first gig, rather my second. I came from a helpdesk environment.