Options

windows 2003 terminal server access to Cisco lab

johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
Hey Wild, what connection do you have to your lab? Im setting up my own as well (sorry guys, company use only, besides It cant shake a stick at Wilds anyways : P).

It will/already consists off 8 routers, 8 switches, 4 servers, and 20 host PC's.

So bandwidth constraints are my concern, my boss wants me to "pod" it out so we can get up to 4 people on at once without interfering with one another. I was thinking 1.5/640 DSL would do the trick. We want to keep it off the company net.
Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p

Comments

• Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    I have a 3M Cable connection and dont have any problems. Remeber that its only a telnet session so bandwidth is not really an issue. I throtle the incoming connections to 256K cos I dont want it to slow my net down icon_twisted.gificon_evil.gif and It seems to work without any complaints.

You need a Terminal server a Cisco 2511 makes a good choice. I posted the config in another post in this forum which has a usefull setup for an automated menu system.

Im not sure how your connection works but I only have one static IP so I have used a router to do port forwarding so that when anyone tries to connect on port 23 it forwards to my terminal server. To setup a second lab you have have to use a different port number unless you are using loads of public Ip's

Also how are your 4 people at once going to work? or do you have 4 seperate pods each with 8R 8S and 4Svrs?

If you need any help just give me a shout and Ill be happy to help
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    I plan on making 4 pods, and using a terminal server (2k3 box) for each pod with 4 public IP addys. My boss wants a graphical terminal connection, not a telnet connection ( dont ask why icon_lol.gif ) so I am going to need some good upload speed. Each server will have the appropriate amount of serial connections to allow console connections to each device in the pod. I know I cant use cable because I cant get mutliple IP address (another requirement per my boss) with ComCast, so am pretty much stuck with ADSL.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    Good luck with the 2k3 thing, I tried that myself, I couldnt get it to establish reverse telnet sessions to the console port on the routers. I coudltn find something that would break out into multiple terminal lines. So the only way to telnet to each router, so if theres no IP addy or routing no connection.
    let me know how you get it working
  • Options
    mutiple terminal lines shouldnt be an issue to start with since each pod will only have 2-3 telnettable ( i think I just made that word up icon_lol.gif ) devices. I could see where you would have problems with 17 devices.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

• Options
    yes but as I say, the idea of a terminal server is that it connects to the console port as if you had an LMT connected to it and configuring it that way, if you telnet in an ip etc must already be setup if you see my meaning.