Options

Liberal Arts Degree... is it worth it to go back?

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
Basically,

I don't know if anyone here has looking at Western Govenor's University www.wgu.edu

but they give you college credit for your certs. Basically, what I was thinking, was getting my A+, Net+, MCSA, Security+, and then I'd probably be real close to obtaining a BS CIS -Network Admin.

Is this worth it since I already have a bachelor's degree? Or in your opinion would it just be a waste of money?

Comments

• Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    really it depends on what iut will cost you and how much credit you will get

if it is a case of being able to get a degree after only doing the electives them IMO it is worth it

considering where I am a course costs about 800 so if i colud get a Degree in netowrking for the price of on years tuition it would be worth it to me not having a degree.

there is really no definative answer because of the varried hiring processes of many companies so want a degree..... some waht expereince.. some wnat both.... some will only accept a CIS degree not a bachelors with IT experience.

the degree will not hurt you but I'm not sure how much it will really help if you have experience and certs.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    BigTone wrote:
    Basically,

I don't know if anyone here has looking at Western Govenor's University www.wgu.edu

I have, and I'm actually considering trying to become one of their first international students in a year or two. Because they currently don't accept students overseas, I haven't done all the necessary research yet. What I do know is that they have more legitimate accreditations than many other online universities. I won't do it for career advancement though and don't know how valuable a WGU degree is on a resume, nor do I know how much value it would add for you since you alread have a BS. Regardless, I don't think it can be a waste of money considering it's not 'that' expensive, relatively, and you end up with a nice collection of certifications.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I just looked at the program and they seem sketchy to me

this statement adds to the sketchyness

"Like all WGU programs, progress in this IT degree is measured by passing challenging assessments. In this program, the assessments are actual industry certifications. Thus, as a student in the program you will study for and complete the following certifications (which are all included in your tuition—a huge cost savings for you):"

any program stating you will get these certs along with your degree is suspicious cause lets face it certs aren't a walk in the park....makes me think u get "assistance" aka Brain **** to push you through.

I wouldn't be comfortable entering a school where my exams were Microsoft cert exams.... look at how many people here struggle on various exams

also what is the deal with sun java cert, CompTIA Project+,CompTIA iNet+....theyseems outta place to me

sure being able to write java and knowing the info for inet+ is good for developing webpages but I don't tihkn it should be a core course for a net admin

and project planning is could be a nice ot have down the road but not nescessary to administrer a network

also I don't see where they acutally state you cna use your Certs to get college creit they say it will accelerate the degree process but I didn't see anytihng stating you if you have your 70-270 you get credit for the XP course, 290 gives you creidt for the server 2003 course... etc

this whole "deal" seems to leave alot open for interpretation

the admisions requirtements are also very lax

"Undergraduate degree programs

Have earned a high school diploma or provide equivalent.
    Satisfactorily pass the WGU Readiness Assessment. This is a short online assessment taken after you apply that is used to evaluate collegiate academic readiness.
    Complete an intake interview with a WGU enrollment counselor.
    Submit official transcripts of all academic work completed within the past five years. These must be received at WGU prior to starting your program. See the FAQs of transcript evaluation for additional information."

I would go over everytihng with them with a fine tooth comb
  • Options
    RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    i use to ask the question about liberal arts degree vs IT degree
    i have a non-IT degree and i used to stress out because i felt like i was not being considered for some tech positions because of it. the way i see it all the psych classes and business courses help me to look at my job from the big picture. sometimes tech's forget that our end users dont give a d@#$ about ip subnetting etc etc they just want their computer to work. i feel my backgound also helps me to relate to my end users on a different level. i just happen to like computers better than people sometimes. they way i see do whatever makes you marketable.

just my $.02
  • Options
    xlg123xlg123 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have to reply about the WGU posting. I just started this school, and rest assured, there is no “brain ****” or anything else fishy going on. I researched this school for many months before deciding to transfer and they are on the money. There are several web boards devoted to distance learning I scoured and no one had anything bad to say about the school. If you search there are even posts on here from a few people that have attended. You can go to their website and download which certs cross over to which classes, along with the description. 70-270 meets the OS class, 70-290 meets Networking I, A+ meets Computer Fundamentals, etc. The most important thing to look at is the school accreditation. This school is regionally accredited by 2 of the six regional boards for accreditation (the real boards, not the degree mills). Look at this FIRST and foremost, otherwise its not worth the paper its printed on. Like any school, they expect you to spend 15-20 hours per week of study time. They are proud of the competency based learning model they have established, and to my knowledge is one of the few schools in the US to gain regional accreditation based on this. There terms are six months in length and around 2800 per term. But, if you look, its still less than most others ie. UoP, Cappela, etc. This enrolls you for 12-18 credit hours. The amount depends on you. I was spending this much at Troy University in a CS degree I didn’t want.

Give them a call and really scour their website, download the degree requirements for what your interested in and look. I think you’ll be happy with the result. Search the web for distance learning message boards, there are one or two main ones. Go in and search for WGU and look and see what people had to say. Good Luck!!
  • Options
    I'm currently working in a prior learning center for an online university... I don't really have any "doubts" about WGU... they are totally legit, all of their accrediations are up to par...so that wasn't really my question. Smallguy they are accredited with most national uni's.

I mean...only certification I would have a problem getting... I mean... I know i would really have to work at is the sun java one... I had programming, didn't do too well at the one I took in college...but it might be a nice challenge for me.

Basically, If I got my certs, went into the program, I could probably be in and out in one term (~2800 bucks)
  • Options
    The response was to someone else's not yours. They offer three types of studying. One is directed study, which they offer two or three different on line options of guided studying or "classes". You use these for subjects which are new or you are having trouble with. The second option is used if you are familiar with the material and just need a review/refresher. The final option is self guided study, which we are all familiar with here. I guess you could say they are all "self guided" study, its just a matter of what resources you want available to you. For example, for 70-297, which covers Network Design, I used my own MS Press and Syngress books. But I also used a NetG course and had other courses at my option. These "guided" study methods are included in your tuition, you only have to buy books if they are required.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Thanks for the 'review' about WGU xlg123!
  • Options
    ThePenTThePenT Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dont waste your time or $$$$ going and getting another BS degree. To be honest with you any GOOD IT person will tell you backing up your skills and experience is what get you the job. I was originally CIS at the University of Florida, hated it and switched to a different major in persuits of law school. Got my BA passed up UF's law school and took my current position where I work now. If your good enough just list BA - whatever University on your resume. You area of studies arent important unless your using them for experience icon_idea.gif
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    My college - a regular community college - offers credits for certifications. Before you **** a bunch of money on a private university, check out if your local community college will give credit for certification.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    WGU is actually really cheap though..and if I got my certifications I could probably graduate within 1 term...and what someone said is its only about 3k or around there.

Also, at a community college I would only get an associate's.
  • Options
    Keep in mind that there are required upper division classes that you must take as well. You can "cert" through the degree concentration, but there are a few courses like Professional Leadership and one or two others you'll have to take.
    I forgot you already have a BA degree as well. I would just go for my Master's if I were you. Many places just want a degree, they don't care in what. It shows the capability to learn and some maturity. Not saying I agree with this, just others .02..........